Exposeed winches look tough in my opinion. Deer can be hard on exposed winches however. I realize that it may look nice hidden and you don't like the idea of a craddle but I would strongly consider a reciever hitch plate. I know your country and I would imagine you trail in some mud or perhaps creek crossings. I have two ranch trucks with hidden winches. 70% of the time I get caught in a creek (crick!) crossing. Talk about a bad place to mess with a winch in the front, submerged 2" under the water. You also have the mud and water packed in there so you have to be good about cleaning it. Wiring takes a beating caked with wet mud. My 75 fj40 has an exposed winch but its fine and up high just like most wranglers. I would still say that there were many occasions that it would have been a lot more handy to winch out backwards instead of fighting the disaster I was heading at. Have you purchased a winch yet? I have my opinions on some to stay clear of that may seem attractive as far as cost. One in particular comes to mind that can burn up in only a few uses. I suggest the standard stuff. Ramsey, Warn, Mile Marker (for the budget guy)