Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need ideas for a winch set up for my CRD

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar

I need ideas for a winch set up for my CRD

I'm not exactly sure if this is the right area to post this but here it goes...

So just as the title says, I'm looking for ideas for a winch for my diesel WK. I don't go wheeling much but in the summer, I want to explore more. Not many of my friends have capable vehicles so I can't have someone in another Jeep come along. I would like the peace of mind so I could go farther and not have to worry. I would love a hidden winch setup up and it fits my needs perfectly. Unfortunately due to the intercooler on these diesels, there isn't as much room to work there as on the gas WKs. I'd also rather not use a hitch/winch cradle set up. I want something permanent and strong and also don't want to have to haul that out of the Jeep if I get stuck. I'm also not looking to add a metal bumper at this time either due to the extra weight and price.

I saw one guy came up with this, but it looks large and in the way. Not a big fan of this idea, but it is an option.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So do any of you guys have any ideas? Ideally, I want a hidden winch but I just don't think it'll fit. I'm probably going to have my bumper off this weekend to install my S4XC shackle mount nutplates so if anyone comes with an idea, I could take some measurements.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I know its an XK... but you can probably fit one in there based on this: http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15573

The same guy actually told me that too, but I think XKs have a bigger front bumper. I really don't know how much space I would need though. I know Saguaro said that their hidden winch plate would for sure not fit. I'll take a look at Omelets hidden winch build again and check out the dimensions this weekend, but everything will have to be custom made.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

So I had my bumper off the other day and did some measurements while I was there. It looks like I only have a max of 6 maybe 6.5 inches to work with due to the intercooler! Omelet had like 3 or so more inches to make his. His mounting plate was something like 8.25" at it's widest point, if I'm remembering correctly. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to make it fit with the WK bumper. I want it permanently mounted up front still and am not interested in a steel bumper at this time. Do you guys have any ideas??
    John

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I know you said you didn't want a cradle, but that is the ultimate in hidden! You can leave it at home until you decide you want to go explore.

And you can use it on the rear as well.

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    Why not use a cradle with a front receiver and just bolt it in and leave it permanently. If it won't fit behind the bumper it will have to go above, below or infront of it. a front receiver with the the cradle bolted in is an easy way to get it in-front. If you replace your front crossmember with a receiver in the same location (not below), the winch will still be fairly high and out of the way.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...highlight=plow
    Last edited by thance; 04-08-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brendon View Post
    I know you said you didn't want a cradle, but that is the ultimate in hidden! You can leave it at home until you decide you want to go explore.

And you can use it on the rear as well.
    The reason I don't want to do a cradle is because it kills approach angles and I also don't want to get into a situation where it's difficult to hook it up in the front. There are a lot of benefits like being able to extract from the rear but I fear it will be too much of a hassle, partially due to the weight. I would also have to purchase a 4xGuard Matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by thance View Post
    Why not use a cradle with a front receiver and just bolt it in and leave it permanently. If it won't fit behind the bumper it will have to go above, below or infront of it. a front receiver with the the cradle bolted in is an easy way to get it in-front. If you replace your front crossmember with a receiver in the same location (not below), the winch will still be fairly high and out of the way.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...highlight=plow
    For the reasons mentioned above and it also doesn't seem very finished leaving the winch in a cradle, permanently bolted there.

However, I asked Omelet on JF and he and another member (who has a CRD) chimed in saying they might have figured out a solution to fit it. I'm going to try and get in contact with the guy with the CRD and see what they came up with. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
    John

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty valpacer's Avatar
    My thoughts would be to do it as if you were doing a hidden winch, which will sit it out the front around 3-4", cut out the centre section of the bumper, then just make a light alloy skin to mate back to the bumper. That way you keep your angles. I know some of the other CRD guys were looking at different intercoolers which would mean more room but I dont know how it went.
    2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    ^^ I like that idea.

Hell might even be a good chance to play with fiberglass if you wanted to get fancy

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    I was thinking the same as Dave said, why not get a side mount IC, it will better than stock and out of the way.. a lot of turbod cars run side mounts I stead of front mounts due to cooling issues may be something to consider..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information