Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need ideas for a winch set up for my CRD

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by valpacer View Post
    My thoughts would be to do it as if you were doing a hidden winch, which will sit it out the front around 3-4", cut out the centre section of the bumper, then just make a light alloy skin to mate back to the bumper. That way you keep your angles. I know some of the other CRD guys were looking at different intercoolers which would mean more room but I dont know how it went.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    ^^ I like that idea.

Hell might even be a good chance to play with fiberglass if you wanted to get fancy
    Could you guys explain this a little more? I don't quite understand how that would look or work?

Quote Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
    I was thinking the same as Dave said, why not get a side mount IC, it will better than stock and out of the way.. a lot of turbod cars run side mounts I stead of front mounts due to cooling issues may be something to consider..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    I will look into this, thank you for the suggestion. An intercooler upgrade was something that interested me but I would also have to buy a new intercooler, get a tune and get it customized also, and fabricate mounts and such...something that will probably have to wait for awhile. And of course, you could easily be making 470+ ft-lb torque after all those upgrades and then you're really pushing the limits of the NAG1.

As a side note, has any one been following the new bumper from Aspen Creek Offroad (aka Saguara 4xc)? Here's a link to their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/aspencreekoffroad
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
    Could you guys explain this a little more? I don't quite understand how that would look or work?
    Basically you would follow the same steps as the hidden winch setup. Bit set the winch as far back as you could. Then, since the bumper cover won't go back on you'd trim the cover until it does. Then make a custom cover/adapter to fill in the sections of the cut bumper cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Then make a custom cover/adapter to fill in the sections of the cut bumper cover.
    This right here, I'm not sure how that would look and how exactly it would attach. Is there anything wrong with leaving the winch cradle slightly exposed? Again, I'm not sure how that would look.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Nothing really wrong with having the winch exposed. Can even get a winch cover just to protect it a bit.

That is what I will most likely do. Hopefully it would look ok with the middle section of the bumper cut out for the winch cradle. Yeah now that I think of it, I see JKs all the time with their winches exposed. Thanks for the help!
    John

Junior Member Looking for Dirt jumpoffjoe's Avatar
    Exposeed winches look tough in my opinion. Deer can be hard on exposed winches however. I realize that it may look nice hidden and you don't like the idea of a craddle but I would strongly consider a reciever hitch plate. I know your country and I would imagine you trail in some mud or perhaps creek crossings. I have two ranch trucks with hidden winches. 70% of the time I get caught in a creek (crick!) crossing. Talk about a bad place to mess with a winch in the front, submerged 2" under the water. You also have the mud and water packed in there so you have to be good about cleaning it. Wiring takes a beating caked with wet mud. My 75 fj40 has an exposed winch but its fine and up high just like most wranglers. I would still say that there were many occasions that it would have been a lot more handy to winch out backwards instead of fighting the disaster I was heading at. Have you purchased a winch yet? I have my opinions on some to stay clear of that may seem attractive as far as cost. One in particular comes to mind that can burn up in only a few uses. I suggest the standard stuff. Ramsey, Warn, Mile Marker (for the budget guy)

Thanks a lot Joe, you brought up a lot of things I hadn't even considered. You're right, I live in an area where hitting a deer is definitely possible and a lot of the wheeling is mud. I do try to stay away from mud because I hate the mess it makes. I have not purchased a winch yet but I'll definitely be seeking advice when I do. I need to get the whole mounting thing figured out first. Honestly, the time frame for this is most likely late summer, maybe later so I'm in no rush.

I'll have to ponder over this some more now.
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information