Thread: Front driveshaft play? (QDII/QTII)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Front driveshaft play? (QDII/QTII)

Poking around under my XK this afternoon I noticed some slight forward/back play in my front driveshaft. It's coming from the t-case output. The seal isn't leaking and can't remember if this play has always been there.

Would one of you QDII/QTII guys mind checking to see if your front driveshaft has any forward/backward play?

I know there's no yoke nut there so there's nothing to tighten up. I'll have to look at a schematic to see whats going on in there if its not normal.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I have the same play that you've mentioned. It's always been that way. When I was installing Andrews gas tank skid I checked and his is the same also
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Thanks man... lol i've been paranoid lately with my front suspension/driveline. Still got some noises im trying to track down.

On a side note, looked at that front yoke assembly and some play makes sense. It's only held in place by a lock ring so there's always going to be some play in that direction. I didn't want to say anything until someone confirmed that though.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I was always worried about the amount of play the driveline had. Always seemed a little excessive but I haven't had any issues.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar
    Was at the dealer today, and they told me mine needed new U-joints. Of course, mine was at the front of the driveshaft, going into the axle.
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Thread Information