Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Air down or not?

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Don't you risk breaking the bead at such low pressures...?
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    Don't you risk breaking the bead at such low pressures...?
    no your still good down to 15PSI but I wouldn't go much lower then that with out bead locks IMO

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I have never popped a bead and I always air down that low.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    In Western Australia you do a lot of beach work and also sharp, rocky terrain in the north. We air down for both, rocks approx 25psi. With sand it is a bit dependent on the make and style of tyre you are running, they have different deflation characteristics.
    With sand you are trying to lenghen the tread footprint, with one of your tyres at normal pressure slide a ruler under the front and rear at a right angles then mark on the pavement the contact lengh. Now reduce the pressure and do the same again, you will soon see once you get under 18psi you get huge improvement in footprint. We normally drop to 20psi then if you get in trouble you can still drop further to get out. 12psi is the lowest I would go to without beadlocks and you would pump up as soon as you hit firm ground because a lot of sidewall is on the ground.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Great video SAL. The tire's integrity is something alot of us forget about. Airing down sure helps to keep your kids from becoming scrambled eggs in the back seat as well.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    If you go to there youtube page the have a series of videos that include how to pick a compressor for your needs. And check out there project trucks it pretty bad ass

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    I have never popped a bead and I always air down that low.
    So what do you air down to? 15? or lower? Sal's post suggested not going below 15. I have run on flat tires without
    popping a bead but it shouldnt be done....

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    If you go to there youtube page the have a series of videos that include how to pick a compressor for your needs. And check out there project trucks it pretty bad ass
    I got the one from Harbor Freight, it's nice but runs hot. Have to let it cool about 30 minutes before putting it away.
    superacerc: like your comment. maybe that's what happend to us all. Too many years of bouncing around

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information