Thread: XK OME Question

Member Looking for Dirt

XK OME Question

I'm looking to get the OME Coils and shocks for my XK, but I'm not sure which load to get. I do have the hemi, but I don't have any plans for heavy fabricated bumpers, winches, or roof racks. I like the current ride pretty well. A little firmer I can tolerate but I don't want to make it harsh. After coming from a Subaru STI I'm ready for something a little more relaxed driving. Some people call it the Medium and Heavy loads, ARB has them listed as

Light Load
    2990 (f)
    2992 (r)

Medium Load
    2991 (f)
    2993 (r)

I'm leaning toward the light load but if it is softer than the stock springs that that would probably be a mistake. Any suggestions? Also, ARB has the lift listed as 1.25" (f) and 1.50" (r) but that would exaggerate the rake even worse that it is already. I have seen some threads say it pretty close levels the ride. How much lift should I expect to see (f) and (r)?
    2008 Jeep Commander Overland

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    -The Heavy Duty shocks will give a bit firmer ride and usually measure up to well over 2" of final lift achieved. I have the HD springs and struts with a 3/8" RRO on top of strut spacer, I gained over 3" over from my daystar "2inch" lift which ran really small.

-The Lighter load shocks give a softer than HD (not sure vs. OEM).
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    The reason most of us refer to them as Heavy and Medium loads is to stay consistent with the WK terminology. The WK uses the same part numbers, but ARB calls them MD and HD due to the lighter weight for that platform.

XK Light load = WK Medium load
    XK Medium load = WK Heavy load

For you I recommend going with the light load based off what you say you want. You'll see more than 1.25 lift and it will still be stiffer than stock. If you dont get enough height you can always add 1/2" via suspension spacers.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Thanks for the replies.

Actually I'm more worried about too much lift than not enough. For tires I'm considering 265/60/18 Cooper Destination AT3 or Goodyear Silent Armor. I don't want the tires to look too small for the wheel wells. Also, I'm hoping I can get a 265/60/18 spare to fit in the stock location.
    2008 Jeep Commander Overland

Thread Information