Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OEM Adjustable Front and Rear Sway bar end links

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Matt, I have a question for you. So we got bobs sway bar end links on. The rear were adjusted approx 2 inches longer which brought the link and sway bar to a 90 degree angle. Up front the links were adjusted to bring the front sway bar back to the factory position. Bob says that he didn't really feel a difference in body roll since the new end links were installed. My question is, when the jeep was lifted using the oem links, does this add more preload to the sway bars causing less body roll? We thought by extending them to the proper lenth the body roll would would lessen.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    My question is, when the jeep was lifted using the oem links, does this add more preload to the sway bars causing less body roll?
    It doesn't add more preload, but the links at an angle decrease the mechanical advantage.

Stiffer vs not is hard to explain here since it has to do with the rate of change of the angle as the body rolls.

Stock 90 degree angle: The mechanical advantage to "twist" the torsion bar (sway bar) is maximized here which in theory gives an easier "roll". But what happens is as the body starts rolling, the angle decreases on one side and increases on the other, thereby reducing the mechanical advantage and "stiffening" more as the roll increases. So its a somewhat progressive body roll damper.

Lifted with >90 degree angle: In this case both sides start with a decreased mechanical advantage over the sway bar. So it takes a bit more force to start twisting it. But in this case, the side that's compressing due to body sway will see an increase in mechanical advantage as that side is compressed. This has the opposite effect of the link starting at 90 degrees... in this case the roll resistance will decrease progressively as the roll continues.

With your OME HD springs I don't think you'd feel much of a difference regardless since I couldn't feel a difference when I completely removed my bar after the links were damaged offroad. If I put my sway bar back on though I'll set them up with the links at the standard 90 degree angle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information