Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roof Access

A bit late to this thread, but I had the same problem.
    I have a large Yakima carrier that I sometimes put on the roof rack, and as I'm only 5'8", it's difficult to load and unload especially when we're camping.
    Here's what I use:
    www.xtendandclimb.com
    I got the 8 1/2 foot ladder. Works great.
    It's an aluminum adjustable ladder, the top yellow caps are soft plastic so it doesn't scratch the paint, it's a Type II so it holds a lot of weight, and it collapses small enough so you can easily carry it inside the Jeep.
    I can use it on the left, the right, or the back. And I can get as high as I need to.
    I paid $100 for it on sale at Sears.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0015.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	248  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0014.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	249  

Senior Member Getting Dirty Doc in AZ's Avatar
    i would think that the weight the rack is rated for is much higher than the weight the roof is rated for. you also have to keep in mind the weight rating is not always based on structural integrity, but more often as a suggestion for keeping a low COG like huey mentioned. as for a ladder, i would probably make something out of light gauge that hooks over the top of the basket and has a couple stanchions that rest against the tire. when you are ready to go stow it in the rack.
    Stone Soup Metal Works, L.L.C.
    623.939.WELD
    5037 N. 54th Ave - Suite #5 85301
    Residential - Commercial - Automotive
    See our work on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Thats a cool tool you have there...

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    Doc,

Center of gravity is very important to us old Rotorheads. Although it was usually fore and aft COG that mattered the most and not high and low. I once took off in a Huey that had a COG that was to far forward and instead of hovering the aircraft wanted to just go ahead and take off forward. I had the cyclic back against my seat. It was a wake up call about COG.
    2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I can most diffidently feel the COG change when I have my basket loaded down for trips. The body roll is magnified with the lift tires then all the weight up top.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So has anyone found the crush weight of the factory roof bars so the rest of us can stay shy of it?
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    I read somewhere years ago that the rated weight is 1/3 of the maximum. Maybe someone made it up or used it as a guide.

I'm planning on a roof rack in the future and was thinking that a small ladder on either the driver or passenger side. With an off road rear bumper you could bolt it to the bumper and the roof rack and have it permanently fixed. Just need Doc to make me a roof rack too.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Ya i was thinking along the same line just on the back with some hinges so it moves with the tail gate

I was thinking more so on the left or right side from the part of the bumper that wraps around to the fender flares. Right in front of the tail lamp housing. Just something really close to the body. This way you don't have to worry about the liftgate, or hinges....etc. Try to picture it off this image.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Take a look at the ladder on a Discovery. It hooks over the top edge of the tailgate.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information