Member Looking for Dirt JumpmasterRT's Avatar
    Ordered.... Any other advice?
    2008 4.7 Liter XK Limited 4x4 | RC 2" Suspension Lift | MB TKO Wheels

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Use a really really really good spring compressor

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Use a really really really good spring compressor
    Yeah.... no doubt. I can't imagine the ones at Harbor Freight would be strong enough. I don't want to lose body parts.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpmasterRT View Post
    ...........gas tank shield mod correct?

Just FYI here is one link to some photos of one way to trim the shield.

> http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...highlight=tank
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4"¯ Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    I'm guessing that with an adjustable rear track bar you wouldn't need to trim the gas tank skid plate.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    I'm guessing that with an adjustable rear track bar you wouldn't need to trim the gas tank skid plate.

You bring up a good point that I didn't know about until I finally had a chance to do some good wheeling and put my Commander to the test. I didn't know there where TWO gas tank mods! I had only read about the notch that would help keep the drivers side rear upper control arm from being limited in articulation by the rear gas tank shield. Mine was one of those that was limited by the shield.

The other mod that you are referring to is the one that made a racket when traversing some terrain that I didn't think could be traversed with my XK (LOl). It also pulled down my shield and could have caused a lot more damage.

I learned the hard way about the side gas tank mod, that helps with the drive shaft hitting the shield. Here is a link to my question and photos after this happened to me, >

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...highlight=tank

I have also picked up an adjustable rear track bar and of course have not had time to install it yet or brush off my trigonometry to try and figure out how much longer to make it to give an extra 1/4 to1/2 inch-ish at the closest point between the drive shaft and the shield.

So hopefully this will help others like my myself, that where not aware there are TWO common gas tank mods that owners have come up with..
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4"¯ Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Tomorrow is the day. That's a LOT of compression that's gonna happen. I can't find anyone with good compressors so I'll have to take them to a shop to get assembled. (Which had I known I was gonna have to do I'd have already done it).

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post

I have an adjustable track bar and still had to do the second gas tank skid plate mod because the drive shaft was still hitting the skid when flexed out off road
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Is that with a disconnected sway bar, Adam?

2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information