Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Open Discussion - Front solid axle conversion

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulf550 View Post
    P/N 56050223AD this is the "jumper" harness that plugs into the top of the front differential. Mopar refers to it as a wiring cradle. My connector broke on mine that's why I had to order a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Well i'll be damned... I was looking for that part in the manual forever yesterday!

FYI, the 2007 parts manual lists it as P/N 56048637AA
    I called the dealer and ordered the part number Matt listed for the 2007. I'm hoping this is the correct part. The dealer said its listed as the cradle harness and has 3 connectors coming off of it. As long as one of the connectors clips into the front differential, ill be able to use it. Gulf550, does this sound like the correct part?
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt
    Mine only had one connector on each side. The harness length was maybe 8" long. Something doesn't seem right about it, but they might have done something different with 2007 model years. I will try climbing underneath mine today and snapping a picture of it.
    2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L, QDII, 4" Superlift Supension Lift, Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrain Tires 285 70R17, Mickey Thompson Classic ii Wheels 17X9, AEM Brute Force CAI, Superchip flashpaque, 4XGuard belly guard, 4XGuard Front Guard, Rear Grab handles and Defender Roof Rack.

I called the dealer back and the parts guy said he will look into it. Worse case scenario he said he wil order both and when they arrive ill let him know which one I need
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    In the 2007 parts manual it's listed twice, once on the 4.7L engine wiring page and again on the 5.7L engine wiring page. Although they list the same part number on both sheets, it shows 3 connectors on the image for the 5.7L page and only 2 connectors on the 4.7L page.

In the 2006 parts manual its the same scenario with the P/N Gulf posted... except that the 5.7L engine had two other harness options.

I'm thinking in 2007 they made it a standard harness and some guys just have an extra connector hanging around. The new part number might include a cap.

Ok. So either way ill be set cause he said he was just going to order both just in case. I'll be hacking up the harness anyway. I just need the plug with a few inches of wire.
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 03-16-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    So who is going to do it first?

I have a HP dana 30 from a JK sitting in my garage. The Dana 30 would be no problem with 33-36 inch tires. Plus the WJ dana 30 is our bolt pattern but comes with the less desireable CV axle shafts. my LP 30 on my TJ holds up fine with 35s and beadlocks. Just depends on your driving style. I see no reason a JK Rock Krawler jk long arm kit would not set up the suspension correctly since it comes with a weld in cross member for the front links. My big concern would be steering, unless some type of hydro assist could be used to take the stress off of the rack.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

The more I think about it, if I get a Hemi XK in the future I don't think I'm going to get it with QD II. It makes a solid axle conversion more difficult due to the computer programming and quite possibly not as capable as the front and rear setup I'm currently running in my Jeep.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    So who is going to do it first?

I have a HP dana 30 from a JK sitting in my garage. The Dana 30 would be no problem with 33-36 inch tires. Plus the WJ dana 30 is our bolt pattern but comes with the less desireable CV axle shafts. my LP 30 on my TJ holds up fine with 35s and beadlocks. Just depends on your driving style. I see no reason a JK Rock Krawler jk long arm kit would not set up the suspension correctly since it comes with a weld in cross member for the front links. My big concern would be steering, unless some type of hydro assist could be used to take the stress off of the rack.

Conversion kits to turn the CV style axle to a ujoint style are available. Also certain XJ axle shafts are a direct swap. Not sure such though.
    EDIT:
    Anyone have any thoughts of on tying in the rack?
    I wonder if one could scavenge the d30 and d44 off of a WJ? The D44a in the back would need some reinforcement because it is made with aluminum but should work. And maybe a good selection because they are cheap and have the ABS setup with disc brakes.
    Last edited by p@55w0rd; 03-18-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by p@55w0rd View Post
    Conversion kits to turn the CV style axle to a ujoint style are available. Also certain XJ axle shafts are a direct swap. Not sure such though.
    EDIT:
    Anyone have any thoughts of on tying in the rack?
    I wonder if one could scavenge the d30 and d44 off of a WJ? The D44a in the back would need some reinforcement because it is made with aluminum but should work. And maybe a good selection because they are cheap and have the ABS setup with disc brakes.
    I wonder if you could swap over everything from a JK? It seems plausable. Daveys Jeeps has them and then you could eliminate the rack all together. The JK steering boxes are holding up to 37s alright.

I would avoid that 44a at all cost. just my $.02
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Now that I'm locked front and rear this jeep won't be getting a solid axle or superlift. Dont need em

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information