Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Open Discussion - Front solid axle conversion

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Now that I'm locked front and rear this jeep won't be getting a solid axle or superlift. Dont need em
    I would love to see that front locker in action and see how it works. That sounds so cool. Maybe QDII guys will be able to do that some day. I'd love to be able to manually lock my diffs.

Has anyone thought about a long travel suspension? Like with longer A arms, etc, similar to a Ford Raptor? Those are like 3.5 inches wider on each side but even 2 inches could yield some pretty good gains and wouldn't it solve a lot of computer related problems vs a SAS? I mean you still wouldn't get the articulation gains of a SAS but it would probably be easier, more cost effective, and still very comfortable to drive especially if you combined it with some Icon or King coilovers. Of course your tires would stick out further so you'd need fender flares most likely but I can see that being much easier to accomplish on XKs. I don't know, I just always thought long travel suspension would be really awesome to see done on our platforms.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty valpacer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    The more I think about it, if I get a Hemi XK in the future I don't think I'm going to get it with QD II. It makes a solid axle conversion more difficult due to the computer programming and quite possibly not as capable as the front and rear setup I'm currently running in my Jeep.
    The opposite. QDII vehicles disable the traction control completely in Low range, all you have to do is fool the computer that the solenoid is still there (resistor). With a QTii vehicle it will still try to brake the wheels if it determines a slip (that can be side to side or front to rear) where the QDII vehicle wont. Ie if the rear spins and the front doesnt, it will actually brake the rear wheels and vice versa. I know the Tcase should be fully locked anywy, but with enough load they will slip.
    2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by valpacer View Post
    The opposite. QDII vehicles disable the traction control completely in Low range, all you have to do is fool the computer that the solenoid is still there (resistor). With a QTii vehicle it will still try to brake the wheels if it determines a slip (that can be side to side or front to rear) where the QDII vehicle wont. Ie if the rear spins and the front doesnt, it will actually brake the rear wheels and vice versa. I know the Tcase should be fully locked anywy, but with enough load they will slip.
    Hmmm never even thought about that. Makes sense but if you're locked, it won't matter right since the computer things your wheels are just spinning at the same speeds?
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
    Hmmm never even thought about that. Makes sense but if you're locked, it won't matter right since the computer things your wheels are just spinning at the same speeds?
    That's what I was thinking. Right now I'm locked front and rear so the tires on both side of each axle spin the same speed. Who knows. I love my current setup. Just got to really wheel it now and see how everything works out and what I break next lol
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    This is what I was thinking the other day, in the situations where you dont need to flip the switch for QDII clutches, wont the computer still want to brake whatever wheel is slipping? Could this damage the QDII diff?
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Dave are you sure QDII disables traction control differently that QTII?

If you're in 4 low with QDII and have your front diff open, Itll probably set a DTC for front diff clutch performance. ... but thats not really a big deal.

Which gives me another thought for the QTII guys. Adam do you have a place with loose dirt or gravel that you can drive circles on with your front locker engaged? ? Wondering how your traction control system will react when it doesnt see different wheel speeds while turning (ref steering rack issue)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Andrew, that won't damage the QDII diff

Quote Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
    This is what I was thinking the other day, in the situations where you dont need to flip the switch for QDII clutches, wont the computer still want to brake whatever wheel is slipping? Could this damage the QDII diff?
    Nope cause I have a switch wired up to completely disable the traction control through the abs pump fuse. So the traction control won't kick I at all. Just full power to both rear wheels and one front. Flip the locker switch and then get full power to all four wheels
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Dave are you sure QDII disables traction control differently that QTII?

If you're in 4 low with QDII and have your front diff open, Itll probably set a DTC for front diff clutch performance. ... but thats not really a big deal.

Which gives me another thought for the QTII guys. Adam do you have a place with loose dirt or gravel that you can drive circles on with your front locker engaged? ? Wondering how your traction control system will react when it doesnt see different wheel speeds while turning (ref steering rack issue)
    I can probably find somewhere to test that out

Just tested it out. 4high with front end locked making figure 8's on gravel parking lot. The traction control was fine and never kicked in. I can definitely tell when the front end is locked. You can feel it in the steering wheel

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information