Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Discussion - Front solid axle conversion

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    From what Ive seen a good D44 built right, which it should be is around 1500-2k??? so times that by 2?? Is there anyway to keep the rear axle? Or swap out the 12 bolt for a 10 bolt and lock it. but then still no gears..?? Then what about Tcase?? And computer? Seems like 10K+ easily..
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Find a wrecked 2wd xk with a d44 rear and use that. Infinitely more gearing/carrier options.

Tcase and trans are fine. Computer is fine (for qti and qtii)

Yes it will be a very expensive build.... youre not gonna SAS a commander for cheap. Done smart, I think it would be under 10k though.

Consider superlift+rcv axles+gears = $6ish... and thats theoretical since we can't regear... so its not completely unreasonable.

Hmmmmm, would probably have to disable the stability control due to steering angle differences (like putting a wk rack in an xk lol)

So you'd be able to use the tcase we have and transmission, and swap out a QTII or QTI computer? Im just trying to justify, besides the obvious gain in flexing the front and coolness factor, of this swap compared to modified SL w/RCVs.. I have to imagine gears will come sooner than later, but running 33s proves to be alright..
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Dont bet on having a lot of gear options. Our axles had a limited run and I doubt will see any significant aftermarket support.

SAS will give us gearing options, the necessary amount of lift to properly run 35s and the ability to take these vehicles to the next level offroad. A modified superlift on 35s isnt going to do much more than a modified superlift on 33-34s. In both cases our front suspension travel sucks.

Not to mention the cost of replacing our crappy steering racks all the time lol.

I think QDII guys would need to swap in a QTII computer. Not sure how we'd solve the stability control issue but id imagine the first person to do this could get AEV on board to help. .. their module with the proper setting will do it

With all that said ill probably never SAS my xk..... theres just not enough wheeling around me to make use of it. I can have a modified superlift installed in a weekend and be done with it.

If I lived out West, it'd be in my crosshairs.

So essentially, wouldnt a 2wd XK be ideal?? I see your point on the advantages now, I guess if you bout axles and built them over time and addressed SC and computer issues the swap wouldnt be as bad.. Assuming a 8" lift and long arms would be the set up..?

No with 2wd you'd need a tcase and the controls. Might as well get them from factory.

Edit: and just remembered you wouldnt be able to use 4 low due to programming. The drivetrain will go into limp mode. So QTII is definitely what you'd want for this swap. Id stay far away from 2wd.

And yeah... 8" with 35s would be nice
    Last edited by Matt; 03-14-2013 at 10:39 AM.

As sick as it may be, just waaaay to much! A modified SL and 33-34s is all thats in my future, Ill get a TJ or ideally an LJ for something more extreme, Id die for an LJ, probably my favorite Jeeps, besides mine of course..

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I would think switching to a manual transfer case would be required....wouldn't be too hard either, just need to figure out where the handles would come up through the center console.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information