Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: QD II conversion up front

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Whats the resistance across the solenoid?

Since you want to regulate 14v (charging voltage) down to 12v it may be easier to just put a resistor in the circuit to achieve a 2v drop.
    Last edited by Matt; 03-13-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Mark he wont get any codes because its a stand alone system that he'll be controlling with a switch, not tapping into the FCM

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    Did you replace the harness that goes from the solenoid out of the diff case? I think that has given some of us the C1417 code (it probably did in my case) with the ""Service 4WD" message in EVIC. You'll just want to make sure some dinky thing like this is taken care of before you find out you need to troubleshoot electronics.

Good luck!
    No I didn't. I really didnt think about it at the time and didnt know there was an issue with that harness. And like Matt said I won't get codes like you guys do. My computer has no clue I swapped front differentials
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Whats the resistance across the solenoid?

Since you want to regulate 14v (charging voltage) down to 12v it may be easier to just put a resistor in the circuit to achieve a 2v drop.
    We were just talking about this at the shop. Not a clue what the resistance is across the solenoid
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    We were just talking about this at the shop. Not a clue what the resistance is across the solenoid
    You can measure it with an digital multimeter. When you get that measurement we can calculate the resistor size needed to provide a 2v drop and sufficient amperage.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Mark he wont get any codes because its a stand alone system that he'll be controlling with a switch, not tapping into the FCM
    I guess I didn't express myself clearly. I didn't mean to imply Adam would get codes. I meant that I had a code that very well may have been related to the harness as much as the solenoid. The harness could fray or harden. This could end up being a gremlin for Adam's install. I realize he's wiring this independent from the XK's computer.

I'm not sure this was any clearer than before!
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Yeah I guess I wasnt following why he would have an issue with the harness because I envisioned him running his own wires to the solenoid, not using the oem harness.

I'm using the oem harness that's inside the diff. Everything from the outside of diff will be wired according to what you say I need. Lol

I should run an inline fuse correct? What size 30 amp???

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    I'm using the oem harness that's inside the diff. Everything from the outside of diff will be wired according to what you say I need. Lol

I should run an inline fuse correct? What size 30 amp???
    Oh if the internal harness is what he was referring to, good point!

For fuse size I need to know what resistance you measure across the solenoid. I can probably find it in the manual tonight too....

30 amp is going to be way too much. Probably more than 10. Will find out for sure though.

Ok thanks for the help. I need to get this wired up so I can monster truck over a BMW we have at the shop that we are scrapping. Haha

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information