Ive been pondering this custom intake/snorkel idea for months and I want to get opinions on this. There are kits available for the Wranglers where the intake goes intake to cowl in front of the windshield, drawing cold air like a cowl induction hood from the muscle cars. Ive looked into it and doesnt seem like its that hard of a mod to do with minor modifications like piping and cutting into the first layer of sheet metal. If you look at this kit http://www.quadratec.com/products/17006_7000_07.htm it does exactly what Im talking about and the filter is within the intake tube and thats certainly an option and it appears there is enough room to put a filter in the cowl under the wipers. This will act almost like a snorkel on hummers but not visible which is why I want to do it, Im not a fan of the snorkel look in XKs, with Adams being exception. Being that I have a K&N CAI which is actually a hot air intake drawing the hot air from under the hood whereas a cowl intake or snorkel is a true cold air intake, drawing outside colder air in this may be to an advantage performance wise, although thats not my main concern. My set up I have now even with the modifications I made, hydrolocking is a major concern for me. So Im looking for advise, suggestions, input on whether this is worth giving a shot to try out.. Description with pics:

I want to take this idea:

Or one like this, kind of ugly:

And do that on the passenger side here:

What Id do here is move the coolant reservoir forward in stock intake location and run the intake tube back into that corner. Couple of concerns are what about during heavy rains is that an issue? Will there be a drop in performance? Would this even work right!?!!?