Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Snorkel/Cowl Intake

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar

Custom Snorkel/Cowl Intake

Ive been pondering this custom intake/snorkel idea for months and I want to get opinions on this. There are kits available for the Wranglers where the intake goes intake to cowl in front of the windshield, drawing cold air like a cowl induction hood from the muscle cars. Ive looked into it and doesnt seem like its that hard of a mod to do with minor modifications like piping and cutting into the first layer of sheet metal. If you look at this kit http://www.quadratec.com/products/17006_7000_07.htm it does exactly what Im talking about and the filter is within the intake tube and thats certainly an option and it appears there is enough room to put a filter in the cowl under the wipers. This will act almost like a snorkel on hummers but not visible which is why I want to do it, Im not a fan of the snorkel look in XKs, with Adams being exception. Being that I have a K&N CAI which is actually a hot air intake drawing the hot air from under the hood whereas a cowl intake or snorkel is a true cold air intake, drawing outside colder air in this may be to an advantage performance wise, although thats not my main concern. My set up I have now even with the modifications I made, hydrolocking is a major concern for me. So Im looking for advise, suggestions, input on whether this is worth giving a shot to try out.. Description with pics:

I want to take this idea:

Or one like this, kind of ugly:

And do that on the passenger side here:

What Id do here is move the coolant reservoir forward in stock intake location and run the intake tube back into that corner. Couple of concerns are what about during heavy rains is that an issue? Will there be a drop in performance? Would this even work right!?!!?
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    My XJ has a ghetto dryer vent version of this mod.. I plan to clean it up someday since I'm sure it isn't watertight but it seems to function fine.

I say go for it, someone has to pioneer these mods

Thanks for the inspiration!! Im not looking to go through lakes or rivers just better protection from what I have now while still getting that CAI advantages..
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    The "what happens in [a heavy] rain" issue would make me nervous, but I would think there are solutions for that.

Kudos for thinking of new stuff!
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    What about in the winter and it gets icy up there? Wouldn't that block air flow? Or when it melts, could that be a concern? I like the idea a lot though I'd just want answers to those questions. I've been wanting to built a custom CAI for my CRD but that might be a better, more functional solution.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Iran across a website selling the airflow snorkel for under $400
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Adam, IM NOT RUNNING A SNORKEL!!!!!!! HAHAHA Im not worried about the ice of anything, that'd be a lot to block the whole cowl no to mention the air coming from sides and underneath.. If you pull that plastic piece by the windshield you'll see the area Im talking about. In addition, Im sensing a transition to North Carolina always wanted to live there and even if I did stay throw another winter my XK is garage kept, ice and snow building up in that spot is a rare occurence

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Haha I know I was just messing with you
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    will be following this thread. Not a fan of a snorkel look for the XK either.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
    Adam, IM NOT RUNNING A SNORKEL!!!!!!! HAHAHA Im not worried about the ice of anything, that'd be a lot to block the whole cowl no to mention the air coming from sides and underneath.. If you pull that plastic piece by the windshield you'll see the area Im talking about. In addition, Im sensing a transition to North Carolina always wanted to live there and even if I did stay throw another winter my XK is garage kept, ice and snow building up in that spot is a rare occurence
    Come on down to North Carolina man! We'll go wheeling and fab you up a custom intake.

Be careful running the intake through the firewall. Guys with buggy's do it and they say that it's very noisy (sucking in air/whistling or whatever you wanna call it)
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information