Thread: Gas Tank Shield, trim project

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar

Gas Tank Shield, trim project

Trying to finish up a few last minute small things before for my first upcoming Jeep Jamboree.

So I wanted to try and trim my gas tank shield. Did I remember to do it when I swapped my springs and installed Matts spacer.. No should I have .. Yes !!

I didnt have the time to disconnect everything I had to when I swapped the springs, ( the long bump stops and 6 lift springs make it more challenging for me) and everything I do takes 3-4 times longer than most people.

Oh and Im another one that is on the floor on my garage ( ok it does have old carpet on it ) using only a floor jack and two jack stands ! Lol

So I have a number of cutting tools.. and lets see.. cutting torch Mmm.. Ok lets rule that one out..

Now how can I get this cutting wheel in there? I started on the right side and made my first vertical cut.

The next, drivers side vertical cut was tight but doable.

Now how can I get in a place to make the horizontal cut ?? No matter how hard I tried I could not get the cut-off tool in place to make the cut no matter which way I routed it. It was really the hose that was the limiting factor.

I got lucky.. I remembered that I really like the swivel I use on my ratchet. So, I swapped it to the cut-off tool and Magic, it worked !!

After I made the horizontal cut I went back and slightly angled the top edges outward.

Then a couple big blasts of black rust-oleum and Im done !

I think my cut is hi enough for the upper arm to still hit the shield first, but I will keep an eye on it to make sure.

2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4" Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Good work man!

And hell, I do all my work on my garage floor too lol

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    Looks good!!

I used tin shears.....I'm afraid to put a power tool (or torch) that close to the gas tank.

Am I seeing an adjustable lower control arm behind the JSK quick disconnects? Where did that come from?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thance View Post
    Am I seeing an adjustable lower control arm behind the JSK quick disconnects? Where did that come from?
    Yes... It is by BDS, and I picked it up from another Forum's member about 3 years ago. I have a hybrid lift. At the time ( and I believe it is still true) , BDS had just stopped making lifts for our Jeeps.

Very nice ... and it appears to be better quality than SL, plus it's adjustable!

On a different note.... Do you find you get more benefit in the front or rear when you remove the quick disconnects? Does it make a big difference?

Thread Information