Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: p@55w0rd's XK Build

Member Looking for Dirt

p@55w0rd's XK Build

Some History
    When I purchased my Commander back in 2008 I put a lift and tires on it and enjoyed some tame offroading. On my 40th birthday my wife surprised me and told me to go get a trail rig and stop beating up the Commander. So I took the XK back to stock and purchased a 1979 Wagoneer. Spent the first year making it drivable and the last two wheeling it. Well last month someone made me an offer to purchase and after some deep thought I accepted the offer.

Well I now find myself with a fat wallet and a desire to make the XK my primary wheeling rig. On the first go around I coveted the OME lift and now I have the means to get it and a lot of other stuff. I need some assistance with choosing components to help convert the XK into a rig that suits my needs. I primarily wheel in Ohio at Southington Off Road Park, but I have gone to the Badlands in Indiana, and Flagpole in Virginia, and frequent the Outbanks in North Carolina. I would like to try to get out west to meet up with the Camp Commander's that are usually in Colorado.

XK Specs:
    2008 Rock Mountain Edition
    Tow package
    Quadra Trac

What I would like to do:

Front winch bumper w/ winch
    Rear tire carrier bumper
    OME lift
    Front sway disconnects
    Rear sway disconnects
    32" or better tires (275/70R17?) - really need input here!
    FlashPAQ to fix trans shifting points and get a few more torques
    New front skid to complement the bumper
    Trans/Catalytic skid
    Rear diff skid
    Rear diff cover
    Rear locker (possibly air locker depending on install cost)
    Lockpick with rear monitor
    Cat-back
    CAI or dare I say - snorkel (not sure on the look of this though)
    Brake upgrades - slotted rotors? better calipers?
    HD UCA's

What I already have:
    Rock Road Super Sliders
    Full complement of OEM skids
    4XGuard belly skid

The challenges I see are:
    Will 275/70's fit with out a rear AC/Heat delete?
    Cost of the install on the air locker may be outside of budget. In this case I can install a "luchbox locker" myself.
    Bumper choices! Holy crap there are a lot more then there was 3 years ago. Looks like more options then the Get Lost 4x4 bumper (funny thing after he gave up on Commanders he bought a Wagoneer!).
    Extending brake line brackets? Buy longer stainless steel lines?
    Just moved to a place out in the boonies and my 750' long driveway is gravel. Jacks and backs do not like gravel!
    Time! I have some major remodeling on the house I am doing myself at the moment.

I just spent the last week reviewing thread after thread on new options and have even contacted suppliers to get some input (Thanks 49er!). If you have any suggestions or for see issues I have not addressed please let me know!
    Last edited by p@55w0rd; 02-23-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I got your PM. I'll give you a call tomorrow if your available
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    I got your PM. I'll give you a call tomorrow if your available
    Sounds great!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Hey man welcome back to the club!

Looking forward to seeing this build.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Looking forward to seeing this build.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4"¯ Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Member Looking for Dirt
    Matt,

I noticed in your garage thread you are running 275/65R18's (32" x 11") I am planning on running 275/70R17's - about the same size. You are still running the OME right? What type of mods did you need to do to make them fit outside of the lift? Pinch weld? More backspacing?

Yeah I'm running the OME with an additional 1/4" strut spacer up front which provides about 1/2" more lift. Pinch weld mod is an absolute mod and you have to be very careful with your wheel selection.

Were you planning on running stock wheel with spacers?

Member Looking for Dirt
    Yeah I'm running the OME with an additional 1/4" strut spacer up front which provides about 1/2" more lift. Pinch weld mod is an absolute mod and you have to be very careful with your wheel selection.

Were you planning on running stock wheel with spacers?
    Stock with spacers.

That'll help then. 1.5" spacers should be good. Make sure that pinch weld is folded over nice and flat, use a self tapping screw on each one to pull the liner back, and check your clearances.

Member Looking for Dirt
    That'll help then. 1.5" spacers should be good. Make sure that pinch weld is folded over nice and flat, use a self tapping screw on each one to pull the liner back, and check your clearances.
    OK then spaces it is! BTW was wheeling in a JK Rubi last year and experienced a spacer failure first hand! Always heard they could fail but never experienced one. Cyco7 was there also but was not in the JK when it happened.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information