Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some direction.

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    Rusty's and Rocky Road also make strut spacers. I went with Rusty's because it was the cheapest after shipping but they're all comparable.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Hey joe, I did mention the JBA spacer but there are other manufacturers too... any of them will work.

The Rancho shocks you want are part number RS999286.

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    I went with the rocky-road 3/8 inch steel spacer up front. They are the only one that is a full 3/8 thick and it does make a difference. You might want the extra with the 4" springs your putting in the back.

http://www.rocky-road.com/commandertrim.html

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    ^^^
    I went with the RRO spacers for the same reason. Although they are 3/8", you obtain 9/16" of total lift with these on.
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Junior Member Looking for Dirt jumpoffjoe's Avatar
    Fellas,

I got the lift on this weekend. Wheels were picked up this morning. Hope to have the wheel spacers by Thursday and I can get the rubber on and truck sent alignment (its parked for now). I posted some picks in an album on my profile. I'll keep adding picks as I go. Seriously appreciate all the help guys.

So I had some time to mount and balance the tires before it went to alignment. I know I posted a picture in my "formal introduction" thread. Matt, you thought the stance looked perfect. I think the picture was perhaps a bit misleading. I still think there is a bit of rake towards the front. I don't mind this however. I opted to put on the RR spacer above the front strut. I remember reading some things about how far to crank down the nut on the front strut above the spring. I bottomed it out because I noticed the stock strut was bottomed out. I was wondering if you guys feel that was a mistake? I can't imagine I would gain much lift by only bringing the nut down part ways, like only exposing 4-6 threads on the top of the strut?

Also, when I put the RR spacer on I felt that I really was just barely getting enought threads to bolt it down to the unibody under the hood. In the future if I decided to put an additional spacer on I know I won't have the threads. Is there another strut perch or mounting bracket out there with longer bolts for addtional threads? I still have the JBA spacers that I could stack. Let me know what you think.

Joe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ResizedImage951366982573407.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	1942

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Looks good, but if I were you, Id get longer strut bolts and add another spacer up front, once that steel bumper goes on it will bring both front and rear down. What are your measurements hub to fender, ground to fender for front and rear?
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Yeah you have a bit of rake, but the rear will probably settle some. Also, pictures online are a bit misleading. My XK has about the same amount of rake, but when i see my XK being driven (like when my wife takes it) it looks perfectly level.

You did the right thing by bottoming out the strut bolt. If you didn't, you'd get a horrible clunking sound.

You can probably squeeze out an extra 3/8" or so out of the front depending on where your strut forks are sitting. There's about 1/4" play that essentially acts like another 1/4" spacer depending on how you position the fork clamp. See here:
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...ll=1#post18958

Don't forget the front springs have a much higher spring rate than the rear. So if you're adding F & R bumpers, and a fullsize spare to the rear bumper, the rear height will likely drop more than the front.

Excellent! Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just leave things as they are until the bumpers come and I get them on. I will have the rear bumper with tire swing-out and fuel/hi-lift and a roof rack focused towards the rear. Thats more weight than in the front.

In the future, I can just order longer strut bolts and slide them in the existing mounts? I guess I didn't look to see if they were spot welded on that perch (or mount). You know with the stock bolts and the RR spacers, I really didnt' grab many threads on the rear holes of either strut. You know the two bolts positioned to the rear of the strut. There are mounting plates on either side for the unibody support bar. Made me nervous but it seems the pressure is always forcing things up.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information