Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for some direction.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Depending on how much lift the JBA 4" springs actually provide you may end up with the rear higher than the front. The good news about the monroes is they're less than $100 for a pair. Another shock you might want to consider is the Rancho 9000XL. They're gentle on the budget and you can adjust their damping to stiffen up the ride while towing. If you find that you need a bit more lift in the rear I can make you a set of 1/2" spacers to get a little extra height.

Here's what im thinking your shopping list is like:
    Front OME HD springs
    Front OME struts
    Front strut spacer from JBA
    Front control arms from JBA
    Rear 4" springs from JBA
    Rear shocks- Rancho 9000XL
    Rear track bar (if needed... my rear is only 1/4" off)

That entire lift setup, including track bar is about $1500. You can get it down to $1000 by not doing the control arms right away ($450), but id highly recommend putting those new arms on while everything's apart.
    So I'm curious... For the price, what's the advantage of the set you put together over the SuperLift that's $1550 on the Steel Armadillo site?
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    So I'm curious... For the price, what's the advantage of the set you put together over the SuperLift that's $1550 on the Steel Armadillo site?
    Technically, not much.... except some things that add to the price of the superlift that aren't included:
    1) Installation. Not many guys can install the superlift in their garage with basic tools.
    2) Superlift utilizes stock front springs/struts. Add $260 to the price of the superlift for at least an equivalent strut upgrade.
    3) Depending on use, I'd also upgrade the standard rear superlift shocks... another $200 addition
    4) The JBA UCA's were a significant part of that $1500... Id still like upgraded UCA's with the superlift.
    5) Add in the EGR to the superlift to keep the traction control system happy adds another $300?

So basically, its complicated. After what most would pay for installation fee's and to get decent shocks/struts in the process, the superlift is closer to $2500.

I'd still prefer the superlift. But when someones budget is $1000 and only looking for a 32" tire size.... stretching that to $1500 for a few nice upgrades seems a bit more feasible lol.

Junior Member Looking for Dirt jumpoffjoe's Avatar
    I'll have access to a shop, hoist, my mechanic buddy, and his tools! However, this rig will be the long vacation vehicle. I need it lifted with tires for the ranch roads and bad weather out here. I also don't want to worry about the less traveled FS roads when I head out fishing. This thing doesn't need to be dry hoping on rocks. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure I'll find myself in places that will test it and my capabilities, it just won't be a monthly practice. As Matt stated, money is an issue if I do chase the bumpers. Really, I need the front bumper for the deer, the back bumper will allow me to put the ladder to the rack. In my experience, if you can't stand on the rack you can't really use it.

Am I wrong in thinking that steel armadillo doesn't offer a rear bumper? The front offers a a better approach angle but I gotta say it shows all the guts from the side view and I like the look of the full wrap around. The more obtuse and old school the better for me, thats why I like the commander in the first place. Matt, I like the list! Now on to wheels! Thanks for help guys!

Joe

Jon can clarify the current bumper situation.... but basically he switched welders recently so he needs to work out the bumper design/manufacturing with the new guy. Im probably going to be his guinea pig.

He's also revamping the front bumper so you may want to hold off to see how that comes out.

For wheels, what styles do you like? Black, chrome, polished?

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    Check out the tactical armor bumpers:
    http://tacticalarmorgroup.com/TAGSto...5/Default.aspx
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Well the commander arrived and it needs some minor work to make it very close to perfect. I will be driving it this weekend for my final evaluation process. Pretty excited guys, not gonna lie!

Anyway, wheels it is Matt. I'm thinking black bumpers so I might as well go black wheels. I like basic stuff. I don't have a preference beween spokes or circular holes. I just don't want a lot of bling or accents. I would prefer nothing but black (matte finish), no chrome at all. But I'm open to anything. I probably don't need beed locks and I don't need the most impressive rock crawling wheel, just a solid off road wheel. I'm thinking I'd still like the TPS system so something that accomodates that would be cool. I read the thread about the flow master exhaust, LOL. FYI I'm 32, that may help generate some ideas. I don't want this truck to look like a motorcross kid's rig! Plain Jane is the the name of game. Utility is everything to me.

Sounds good man. Ill find a few wheels while im kicking back after work tonight.

Psycho, I have had those bumpers in mind this entire time. I talked with a guy from CSL Offroad about getting them and a few other things. I like the idea of supporting Jon however. I also like the idea of not spending all that money on the bumpers, but if you guys lived here you'd know its only a matter of time before a big old mule deer or antelope wanders out in front of your rig at highway speeds. Hell my gal takes them out in our home town, a lot of this country is open range so the gravel roads are littered with beef cows.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Those bumpers arent bad but I cant say they are nicer then SA. If I needed a steel bumper like the sounds of you do, Id wait for Jon, since he basically has to re-create new front and rears the ability to customize them is there. Also since there are more members on than the last bumper he designed Im sure the amount of feedback and suggestions will really help put together very nice pieces!
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Ok man here's a few quick wheel options to get started. You can click the pictures to go to the website to see them.

8.5" wide with +10 to +18mm offset is ideal. A few of these have +25mm offset which is what the XK Pintlers were (but I think they tuck the tire a bit too much, but hell its still an option)

MB TKO - 17x8.5 +18mm offset - $120 each

Vtec Warlord - 17x8.5 +25mm offset - $125 each

American Outlaw TNT - 17x8.5 +16mm offset - $129 each

American Outlaw Hollywood - 17x8.5 +15mm offset - $135 each

... I feel like I should make a "wheels that work" thread...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information