Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some direction.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Superchips Flashpaq 3875 is what you'll need. If you dont want to transfer your TPMS sensors over you can use the flashpaq to put the TPMS system in "offroad" mode which effectively turns it off. I've been running that setup since the new OEM rubber stemmed sensors dont want to work right, and I don't want aluminum ones for offroading (seen too many break).

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    There is an unlocked 3875 superchips programmer for sale on jeepcommander.com for 250$:
    http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ad.php?t=19682
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpoffjoe View Post
    Matt, which spacer would you go with? I assume that the every little bit counts in that wheel well. As far as spacer brands go, I don't have a lot of knowledge. I see a lot of spider tracks stickers on JKs. The 255/75s are going to be wider that 265/70s?
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Spidertrax are the most common spacer run so I'd go with those.

The biggest thing about the spacer is getting the tire sidewall away from the balljoint bolt. But the larger the spacer, the more likely you'll have rubbing issues in the pinch weld area while turning.

1.5" spacers are common because they don't require cutting the wheel studs. But with with JK wheels i believe there's indents on the back side of the wheel that clear the stock wheel studs when used with 1.25" spacers (might want to double check that). So the 1.25" spacers will clear the bolt and minimize rubbing at the pinch weld, especially the passenger side if you have the rear HVAC lines.

255 vs 265 is the tire width in mm. 255 is 10mm thinner than 265, which is ~.5".
    I think the smallest you can go is a 1 inch spacer on Moabs because they have those pockets. And like Matt said, 255's are a little thinner, but I think they're about .5" taller.

Thats what I thought on the tires, which sounds good to me. I'll do some checking on the 1.25 spacers. It looked like we needed atleast an inch to clear the calipers. I plan on ordering the lift components next week. I'm almost thinking I'll order the bumpers too. We can lift it and put on bumpers in one evening at the shop.
    You only need 1/4" spacers to clear the caliper with Moabs, on a WK at least. It's possible that XKs have bigger calipers to compensate for the extra weight. I would personally go with a bolt on style spacer over a slip on one but that's just me. Check out Spidertraxx, Rough Country, and Bora. They all have good spacers, but it seems like Spidertraxx is the most popular. What bumpers do you think you'll order?
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Junior Member Looking for Dirt jumpoffjoe's Avatar
    Thanks John,

I won't do anything else than bolt on spacers, seems the most robust route. I was thinking I'd do the tactical armor group bumpers? I don't have any patience, not willing to wait around for the SA bumpers unless the lead time is fairly short. I'm not sure what year those rubicon wheels are, I don't know if that changes the wheel specs. I was thinking 1" spacers, but if you think I can get away with less I'd rather not have tires sticking way considering all the gravel roads we drive. I appreciate all the help.

I was also wondering what an "unlocked chip" is? Is $250 a good deal on that one for sale on jeepcommander.com?

Joe

When you use a programmer to tune your vehicle that specific programmer becomes "locked" to your VIN and can't be used on another vehicle until the stock tune is replaced "unlocked".

$250 is an alright deal. New they're $300-$350 depending on where you get it.

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    Thanks John,

I won't do anything else than bolt on spacers, seems the most robust route. I was thinking I'd do the tactical armor group bumpers? I don't have any patience, not willing to wait around for the SA bumpers unless the lead time is fairly short. I'm not sure what year those rubicon wheels are, I don't know if that changes the wheel specs. I was thinking 1" spacers, but if you think I can get away with less I'd rather not have tires sticking way considering all the gravel roads we drive. I appreciate all the help.

I was also wondering what an "unlocked chip" is? Is $250 a good deal on that one for sale on jeepcommander.com?

Joe
    I checked out those TAG bumpers and they look pretty cool. The WK front bumpers they make are ugly in my opinion but the XK ones look pretty awesome. I personally prefer the SA rear bumper but the TAG one still looks very cool.

As long as the Rubicon wheels are 2007+ (JK Wrangler) they should fit with 1" spacers. Check for those pockets on the inside of the wheel. Worst case, you have to trim the stock lugs. If you're going with 1" spacers, I'd go with Bora. They're a little bit pricey, but I think they're worth it. Spidertraxx and RC don't make 1" spacers as far as I know.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Matt, I'm going to order the lift components tomorrow. I know we discussed the Rancho struts for the rear. I noticed that you questioned if I would need additional lift in the rear. I'm curious if you think the monroe load leveler struts would give the extra boost over the Rancho struts? And are the JBA front strut spacers the 1/4 " ones?
    Last edited by jumpoffjoe; 03-31-2013 at 07:28 PM.

The monroes have an additional coil spring which gives more lift. Probably not needed with the 4" JBA springs though.

You can run the stock shocks with the lift and see where you're sitting. Then order rear shocks. The rears only take 10 minutes to swap out.

So I failed to get everything ordered today. Had a date with the accountant, always a bad deal. However, the paper work for the truck was signed and I am now the official owner of the Commander. I wanted to confirm that it is the JBA 1/4" spacer I'm after as I noticed that to be the only strut spacer available. Also, I assume as the F150 monroe strut was suggested that I am to order the Rancho 9000XL strut that would also fit the F150? I'm gonna order myself a brand new superchip. Figure I might as well have new one and not worry about it. Send those Rubicon wheels to get powder coated and pray for a spare weekend!

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    I would use the JBA 1/4 spacer!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information