Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain Biking

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thance View Post
    I have Deore XT everything accept the brakes stock from 1996. Surprised they still make it.... wonder how much has changed.
    They don't change the name every year. The XT line from 1996 is probably outdated based on the Alivio line of 2013; as technology progresses, XT leads the way and the "old" tech flows down through the product line.

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    They don't change the name every year. The XT line from 1996 is probably outdated based on the Alivio line of 2013; as technology progresses, XT leads the way and the "old" tech flows down through the product line.
    ;(

Quote Originally Posted by thance View Post
    ;(
    Now frownie's allowed!! What you got? Lets see the bike.... You still get out and ride at all?

For the record... I know guys that can buy the cheapest crappiest girls toddler bike at Walmart and leave me in their dust on the trails.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    For the record... I know guys that can buy the cheapest crappiest girls toddler bike at Walmart and leave me in their dust on the trails.
    That would make an awesome YouTube video!!!! LOL!!!!
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    Now frownie's allowed!! What you got? Lets see the bike.... You still get out and ride at all?
    Mine is a 1996 Team Marin with a Marzocchi front fork. No rear suspension.

Here is a stock photo:

^^ thats very similar to my friends 96 hookooekoo that im fixing up. His forks shot so we're putting a cheap rigid one on instead.

I just rebuilt my Fox F29 fork this morning. I waited too long to do maintenance on it so it was in pretty bad shape.
    All new seals and fluid now... as long as it holds fluid ill be good otherwise I may need new uppers.

So my son needed a "bigger" bike. Not because he's too big.... but because we went for a 5+ mile bike ride and it became clear that his skill level was beyond the 12" bike that fit him.

Lets just say it was a fun family biking weekend

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    So I've been riding a lot more lately and trying to get my friend in on it too. He had a good time last time we went. Anyways, I'm realizing more than ever that I need a few upgrades. Here's my current set up, completely stock as of now:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...rchive/fuelex5

Here's what I have planned in terms of upgrades (most likely in this order):

1. http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...1_1508crx.aspx

2. http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...33_151crx.aspx

3. http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/disc-...4_1507crx.aspx

4. http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/reba-rl

Do any of you have any experience with a tubeless tire set up? I'm very uneducated about that stuff and would love some advice. I know some people say that there is hardly any weight savings, but I'm really just doing it because I'm sick of pinch flats all the time. Do I need a tubeless-specific tire? What else would I need besides number 1 on the list?

Pretty set on those brakes, they have great reviews.

Could use some recommendations on forks. I currently have a Rockshox Recon Silver TK, but have always been a big fan of Fox products. Unfortunately, they're a bit out of price range (I'd like to keep it around $500-600), but the Reba RL looks like great bang for your buck and gets pretty good reviews. Also, I prefer air spring vs. coil. I like adjustability.

I'd probably sell or just gift all of my parts I'm swapping to my buddy because that would make a huge difference for him. What do you guys think of that set up? Would you change anything?
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Tubeless is 100% worth it. Weight wise you'll save between .3-.6 lb, which isn't bad.... but the performance is really the big improvement.

I personally prefer to stick with tubeless or tubeless ready tires. Non-tubeless tires don't really have any benefit... they'll soak up so much sealant that they're the same weight as a tubeless tire, but dont have the right bead.

for the Fork... keep your eye on eBay and mtbr classifieds. Should be able to find a nice/quality Fox Float for $300-$400.

What kind of trails do you ride?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information