Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Biking

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    I was considering this tire for tubeless: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...9_1508crx.aspx

What else would I need besides those tires and that Stans Tubeless Sealing kit?

This is a link to my favorite and one of the most difficult in the area: http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...4_4561crx.aspx
    It's got a lot of steep, fast drops and a lot climbing too. When you're not climbing, you're flying. Other trails I ride are similar, but not as fast or difficult.

Do you have a specific recommendation for which Fox fork? There's so many models it seems like haha. I'm looking for 120mm travel with a 9mm QR, preferable.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Hey man i didn't forget about ya. Just had a busy two days and wanted to do some research because i'm pretty sure our riding terrain is very different. I basically do XC type riding, lots of dirt & roots, not a lot of rocks.

It's all good man, been pretty busy myself! Actually, our trails are very similar, I would describe ours exactly like yours! I looked into used Fox forks and found some for a decent price. My only problem now is that they're hard to find with 9m QR (what I currently have), but I can find a lot of Rockshox Reba RLs in 9m.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

For tires i'm running Specialized The Captain- Control (2Bliss) up front and Geax Saguaro in the back. I really like this combo... the aggressive square tread of The Captain digs my front tires in for great cornering, and the rounded profile of the Saguaro makes for a great "trailing" tire; doesn't hinder the front tire from doing its job, especially on leaning turns.

I'm pretty sure there's a 26" version of both tires.

Have you thought about finding a used 29er hardtail? I always see nicely built bikes for sale. For what you're looking to spend, couldn't hurt adding a 2nd bike to the stable

I know you said you're trying to keep the fork in the 500-600 price range.... add $50?
    http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Fox-...-Fork-2013.axd

Thanks for the tire suggestions, I'll look in to them. So are my stock rims fine for a conversion to tubeless?

And no I have not thought about adding another bike haha. I really like the way my fuel ex rides, just looking for some upgraded brakes and fork mostly

That fork looks almost exactly what I'm looking for and at a good price too! Two things: 1) it's white and my bike is black/blue, not a big deal but I'd prefer black. 2) I currently have 120mm fork. Could I reduce the travel from 140mm?
    John

Yeah ive converted a few sets of non tubeless wheels using the stans kits... its not hard.

Im 99.9% sure the travel can be reduced to 120.. id just have to download the manual from the fox website to be sure. Id put it on like it is and see how you like it first.

Here's another one. 120mm, 9mm, $605... but still white:
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...ro-Headset.htm

Damn that's a good price! Thanks for all the help and research, Matt. I went out riding tonight again and have decided that the first upgrades I'm going to make are brakes and tires. I think I'll order those Shimano XT's this weekend actually. Later on I'll look into upgrading the fork. What brakes are you riding on? My Avid Juicy 3's just aren't cutting it for me.
    John

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information