Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Man Emu front struts with HD springs saga

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialByFire View Post
    [Sorry for the delay in posting. I tried for two hours last night to post but the forum kept timing out. What's up with that? Is everyone else having troubles with this site?]

I decided to replace them because with the bumper, winch, and Hemi, the front was sagging enough for some significant tire rubbing. The springs are still good and I would be willing to sell them. The Bilsteins are questionable but 'feel' ok.

Matt,
    When I had the strut with 4" spacer in place--bolted top and bottom, but with the UCA disconnected from the knuckle--I was unable to rotate the knuckle into place because of binding in the CV. I think I would be more confident in the CV if I limit the droop to 43" when fully extended--hence the 3" spacer. That is measured from the ground to inside fender with the tire barely touching.
    Strange... I did not experience any problems with the site

How many miles are on the springs? Can you PM me a price?
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I haven't noticed any issues with the site either.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I haven't noticed any issues with the site either.
    Wow! That's strange. It's been good today (i.e. no refreshes needed) but on both my work PC and my home PC it's been really bad while other sites are fine.

My buddy is making 3" spacers tomorrow, so I should know soon how it works. The front has now settled a bit and is sitting at 37".

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    37 inches seems a bit low. If I remember correctly that's right about where I sit with the OME HD lift on 33's.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    Heck, I'm at 37.5" with 265/70-17 OME HD and 3/8" spacer. Is he sure he has the HD springs? Initial comment about them being just as soft as stock is a little odd too.

Ooooh I bet we're losing something in translation here due to geometry.

Remember the superlift drops the LCA and uses a longer spindle. So a 4" spacer is needed to achieve 4" lift assuming the control arm is dropped 4" because the angles arent changing.

When you're not installing the superlift, the lift achieved from spacers/springs is not 1:1 because its the ratio of lengths based on control arm angle.

Think of it this way... pretend you've achieved 4" lift from stacking kits so your control arm angle is horrible. Then you install the drop down brackets for the LCA, It will pivot about the clevis connection which raises the hub up thereby decreasing the effective lift.

Just adds a bit of complicity in modifying the superlift. The 3" spacer he's having made should help
    Last edited by Matt; 04-24-2013 at 08:28 AM.

I got the drivers side done last night (more problems with the web site so I couldn't post) and it looks, rides, and feels good! A little stiffer but now I can take those whoops a little faster!

Unfortunately, I pulled the right side apart and went to assemble the OME strut and...discovered it is bad. ;-(

I fly out on a business trip Monday afternoon and then am supposed to leave for Moab the night I get home (Thursday). I could put the old Bilstein in temporarily but I'm not sure I want to drive 700 miles with two different struts. We'll see what Jon can do for me. Maybe he'll work a miracle!

Some dark photos from last night:
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...1677C15CBC!114

I'm intrigued by your website issues. Have you asked Jon about it? Wonder if its something about your account?

Hope everything works out with the struts. You blew out the OME?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information