Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A formal introduction.

Junior Member Looking for Dirt jumpoffjoe's Avatar

A formal introduction.

Hey People!

I'm pretty sure a lot of you have checked out my suspension thread. Many of you handy types already have been helping me. Like many of these newbie threads I thought I better do a more "formal" introduction.

I was seeking help on my commander build before I was even an owner. That may seem odd to some but is really quite par for the course. I don't want to look like I'm chasing groceries in any of my rigs

I'm not a rock crawler type or even a serious trail guy. However, my hobbies always take me into areas where I have to have an upgraded vehicle to get to the right spots. I live in Western South Dakota. I do a lot of fly fishing, camping, and coyote hunting. I manage a bison ranch in the Northwest Badland country. I spend a lot of time in the Black Hills and the Big Horns of WY. With this vehicle I hope to take my adventures in comfort. I've already enjoyed the comfort of the commander in the few weeks I have owned it. The kids dig the moon roofs and the dogs enjoy the third row!

Anyway, it has been obvious that this is the proper place to get good ideas and solid answers and solutions to the common commander alteration problems. I can't tell you how thankful I am for all the help I have recieved thus far. Unfortunately, I won't be able to provide as much help to newbies as I have recieved. Perhaps in time I will know this truck better.

I just got the lift on last weekend. Wheels, tires, and alignment this Friday. I'll keep posting pictures on this thread and update the progress. I suppose offering pictures and mod descriptions will perhaps help individuals see some different looks and generate ideas for others.

The truck is an 07 Commander Limited with 5.7
    The custom lift perscription was created with the help and knowledge of folks right here, particularly Matt.

JBA Upper Control Arms
    OME Front HD Springs and Struts
    RR Strut Spacer
    JBA 4" Rear coil springs
    Rancho XL9500 Struts in the Rear

This weekend I will have on my Powder coated Rubicon wheels.
    1.25" BORA wheel spacers
    255/75 R17 BFG Mud terrains

I have bumpers comming and Carls Trailer Sales of Belle Fourche is helping me build a custom roof rack with ladder. The war wagon is gonna be very functional when we are done!

Thanks again for the help.

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1921.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	1925  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1929.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	1926  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1934.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	1927  

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Looking good Joe!

I think you're the first guy running that particular setup and looks like the stance is perfect.

Cant wait to see the rest of the build.

Thanks Matt,

Its snowing here with 40 mph wind......again. Thus, I'm surfing the the web. It looks so much better. It will look nice with the new tires. However, I think when I ware them out I'm gonna opt for smaller tires. I actually think it looks good with these smaller stock size tires. I'm trying to picture it with some all terrains in this size. I've had days on the ranch where my entire wheel wells have been filled with the clay on my tires! That extra room isn't just for flex!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Looks good man and welcome! Careful with these guys they will have you spending paychecks before they come in!! I wish those JBA coils were available back when I did my lift, thats the set up I want with my rear fox's.. Looking forward to seeing rest of the build!
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Same here! Though Ron sent me a pair of superlift springs to try out so ill install them this summer and see what happens.

Joe you should send that pic to Marlin at JBA... I bet he could piece what you've done in a JBA 3-3.5" lift and sell it all in one set; making the rear shocks an option between ranchos, bilstein or fox.

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    Looks great and welcome! What do you have planned for the bumpers?
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

I have a Tactical Armor bumpers on the way. I would have liked to have been able to wait for the armadillo rear bumper but I have some trips planned in June. Obvioulsy I saved on shipping getting both bumpers from one outfit. The front bumper is the "wincher", I have the plated style with the full front hoop. I went with the reciever hitch because I will share a winch with my old 89 YJ. No need to have a winch sitting on it all year when the gal drives it to work most days. The rear bumper with the tire swing away. I added the gas can and hi-lift mounts. They will come bare metal so I can weld some tabs on for the roof ladder. I'll bolt the ladder to the driver side right behind the gas fill (I was thinking passenger side, but I want the gal to be able to pay attention to that ladder!). I'll have the bumpers powder coated satin black just like the Rubicon wheels after we have everything mocked up. Should look descent. The roof rack should be interesting. Not sure what I want there. I haven't sorted through my water storage options. Not sure if I want water on the roof or on my trailer.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpoffjoe View Post
    I would have liked to have been able to wait for the armadillo rear bumper but I have some trips planned in June.
    We were so close, first new rear XK bumper is currently in production. Once it is completed and test fitted I will know the sales price for future runs.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpoffjoe View Post
    I've had days on the ranch where my entire wheel wells have been filled with the clay on my tires! That extra room isn't just for flex!
    Welcome!

I saw on TV once the recommendation to spray the well wells with WD-40 before you go out in the mud. It's supposed to keep the sticky stuff off, or at least make it easier to wash off.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    Welcome!

I saw on TV once the recommendation to spray the well wells with WD-40 before you go out in the mud. It's supposed to keep the sticky stuff off, or at least make it easier to wash off.
    Or atleast make your truck smell awesome and man like! Knappster, I have other armor I will need starting with diff covers. Also, I'll need a T-Shirt because someday it will be warm enough to wear one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information