Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am eating my words...

Member Looking for Dirt

I am eating my words...

We took the kids to Moab this last weekend. I decided to take the Commander instead of the JK. We were just planning on easy trails since we didn't know how the kids would handle a whole days riding dirt roads. Kids had a great time. We didn't do anything really difficult, probably could have done almost everything in a car. We did Gemini Bridges, Long Canyon, stopped by Dead Horse Point state park, and Tusher Tunnel. I only had one pic on my camera phone but I will try to post a few more once the wife gets them off the camera.

We had three car seats, kids 5,3,1. I also downloaded a bunch of geocaches to my GPS before and used that as a way to make the riding more interesting, we were treasure hunting! My 3 year old son is into pirates right now so he loved treasure hunting. There are lots of caches along the trails.

I didn't think I would ever wheel a IFS anything but the Commander sure fit the family better. Now I have to decide how I am going to build up two jeeps. The 4" superlift is starting to look like a need now. I am also very interested in the post I read a while back about someone who put a QDII front diff in and a locker in the back.

I also wonder if the struts aren't tightened down correctly, I get a pretty good clunk in the front end while offroading.

Pic is along the Gemini Bridges trail where we stopped to find a geocache and eat a snack.

2013-05-03 10.49.05 by duneslider, on Flickr

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Time for a good lift and more family XK wheeling!

Your son obsessed with Jake and the Neverland Pirates too?? Thats all my boy watches. We have a similar family..... this time next year my kids will be 4.5, 3 and 1. My XKs gonna get a whole lot of family wheeling trips in

Member Looking for Dirt
    Obsessed with anything pirate. His favorite saying is "Argh, matey, Sail the seven seas". We picked up the XK since three car seats in the JK was tight! I still was intending to spend all my money working on the JK but now I have to figure out how to build both.

I might be able to make do with a heavy duty OME lift but the superlift sure seems nice. Mat, your XK looks nice. I really wanted to hold out for a white one, and QDII but in the end the wife said she liked the black one and I wasn't gonna wheel the XK.

If anyone sees a QDII front diff around let me know!

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Im the one with the front and rear lockers. Well worth the $$ if you ask me. Total cost for both was around $1500 for everything. I did they install myself
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt
    I couldn't remember who it was that had done it. The wiring of the ELSD is the only thing I am unsure of, if you have any info on that portion I could handle the rest pretty easy. I would still love to go with a solid axle but I just don't think it makes sense financially, if it is even possible. It would probably need 6-8" of lift to make it happen.

I've got some feelers out for a QDII but they don't seem too common.

Let me know if you get your hands on one and I'll help you out with the wiring. It's very easy to wire up
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Let me know if you get your hands on one and I'll help you out with the wiring. It's very easy to wire up
    Have to agree! Way easy to do!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by stites-xk View Post
    Have to agree! Way easy to do!

Did you get to test yours out yet???

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    Just some dirt road! Saturday I'm doing china wall! I'll test it then! It locks in great! I still need to run a switch for traction control!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
    I might be able to make do with a heavy duty OME lift but the superlift sure seems nice. Mat, your XK looks nice. I really wanted to hold out for a white one, and QDII but in the end the wife said she liked the black one and I wasn't gonna wheel the XK.
    Thanks man. But trust me on this one, especially with all the great wheeling where you live, go with the superlift over the OME if you can. My 2nd daughter is due in a few weeks... and im hoping to upgrade to the superlift when she's ~2yrs old (or in a forward facing car seat) to make it easier for my wife to get the kids all belted in.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information