Thread: I am eating my words...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Member Looking for Dirt
    I haven't looked really close at the superlift install but what special tools are required?

I have noticed that the superlift still needs other (stuff). I suspect I could replace cv's and ball joints pretty quick, the steering rack isn't something I have worked much with. I am hoping we will have the commander paid for this year and then it will be easier to spend money on it.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    The superlift isn't really hard to install. The only somewhat special tool needed is the ability to weld a crossmember support in place (if you have a welder then you probably also have a cutoff wheel or plasma cutter to make the necessary cuts). Other than that, its pretty straight forward.

I would highly recommend the superlift + ome struts for the initial install, then upgrade the rear shocks at your convenience and upgrade the UCAs when the stock ones go bad.

Member Looking for Dirt
    I should be able to take care of the welding portion no problem. If that is the toughest part it shouldn't be a big deal. My front end seems to be sagging so I might have to address that sooner than later. If I go to the trouble to take it apart I may as well do the struts and maybe the uca's too. Doing that might keep me happy for a little bit. I would like to get rid of the stock side steps and replace them with a good slider. I love the look of the 4xguard and how stock they look but the SA with the step will make the wife and kids happier getting in and out. I haven't seen many pictures of them on the XK though, but haven't looked really hard.

If your front springs are sagging you may want to consider replacing them with the OME MD springs and cutting them down incrementally until you've achieved a lift height in front of 5-5.25" (so it'll settle around 4.75-5"). You'll end up with a spring rate close to the OME HD springs which will help you keep that front end up while offroading with a full family of 5.

Oh and check out USMC1's build! He's rocking the superlift, steel armadillo sliders and rear bumper..... he'd be a good example for what yours will look like.
    Last edited by Matt; 05-07-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Member Looking for Dirt
    I will check out his build. I think I will be able to make this capable of doing most of the fun trails in moab without it costing a fortune and still have a nice comfy family wagon. And if that isn't enough I can put the JK on a trailer and pull it to moab with the commander. Can't go wrong it looks like.

Check out some of trialbyfires pictures & videos. I dont think theres much he hasnt done in moab.

Thread Information