Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am eating my words...

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Thanks man. But trust me on this one, especially with all the great wheeling where you live, go with the superlift over the OME if you can. My 2nd daughter is due in a few weeks... and im hoping to upgrade to the superlift when she's ~2yrs old (or in a forward facing car seat) to make it easier for my wife to get the kids all belted in.
    I thought I'd toss in my 2 cents on the subject along with a couple of pictures.

Put simply, I went with the Superlift because it corrects for stock geometry. And if you go with some other lift, I'm not convinced that things work out all that much cheaper. I think most who don't want to spend the $$$ for the Superlift want to go with OME instead of a spacer lift. I believe that the OME lift still runs several hundred dollars. Maybe someone who knows real numbers will chime in. Regardless, OME or spacers will result in changes in geometry. This means most likely premature wear of various components. Now, you can compensate for these things, but that means buying more parts and spending nice money for the fix. Well, JBA upper control arms can correct ball joint angles, but how much have you spent now? I can't find a picture of someone's stock upper control arm after an OME or spacer lift, but here is a picture of mine after the SL:

So you can fix that one, but what are you going to do about the steering rack tie rod end?

You can see a really rough steering tie rod angle here.

Here is a picture of mine after the SL:

I wouldn't want to have to keep replacing tie rod ends, or even worse, steering racks ($$$!!!).

So, while the mod bug can keep you forever throwing cash at your Jeep, I felt that the SL gives the best platform. I can stop here, or I can more easily upgrade as the fever consumes me.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Exactly ^^^

Side note... Mark you gotta fix that WSS line hanging near your CV.

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    I can stop here, or I can more easily upgrade as the fever consumes me.
    The fever will get you! Trust me!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar

I wouldn't want to have to keep replacing tie rod ends, or even worse, steering racks ($$$!!!).

So, while the mod bug can keep you forever throwing cash at your Jeep, I felt that the SL gives the best platform. I can stop here, or I can more easily upgrade as the fever consumes me.
    You can't use oleblue's tie rods as a reference. He is double lifted with both OME HD coils and RC spacer lift up front.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty oleblue27's Avatar
    I thought I'd toss in my 2 cents on the subject along with a couple of pictures.

Put simply, I went with the Superlift because it corrects for stock geometry. And if you go with some other lift, I'm not convinced that things work out all that much cheaper. I think most who don't want to spend the $$$ for the Superlift want to go with OME instead of a spacer lift. I believe that the OME lift still runs several hundred dollars. Maybe someone who knows real numbers will chime in. Regardless, OME or spacers will result in changes in geometry. This means most likely premature wear of various components. Now, you can compensate for these things, but that means buying more parts and spending nice money for the fix. Well, JBA upper control arms can correct ball joint angles, but how much have you spent now? I can't find a picture of someone's stock upper control arm after an OME or spacer lift, but here is a picture of mine after the SL:

So you can fix that one, but what are you going to do about the steering rack tie rod end?

Also, my lift is only temporary. I will be getting the superlift by the end of the summer. I also ordered new tie rod ends and sway bar bushings and links. And I do not take my jeep offroad.
    06 4.7 | Modded 6" Lift | JBA 6" Coils | Rustys Rear UCA's | Fox Shocks | JBA UCA's | Gibson Catback w/ FM S44 Muffler | K&N CAI | Hypertech | 4.56 Gears | Powertrax Locker | Autolite Iridiums | Mobil 1 (engine&diff) | 34" BFG AT's | 20x9 Ultra Gauntlet | EBC Dimpled&Slotted Rotors | Hawk Ceramic Pads | Blue Interior LED's | Husky Floor Liners | VVME 8000k HID | Pioneer AVH-P8400BH | Tinted LED Tail Lights

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    You can't use oleblue's tie rods as a reference. He is double lifted with both OME HD coils and RC spacer lift up front.

Got a pic of yours? Yours should be a bit better than oleblue's, but I'm guessing still angled. Curious...
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    I would say go with the OME lift just for the fact that you have a JK. The XK will still be very capable and for the same price of the superlift, you can have a 3+" OME lift with QDII swap. Even if you decide just to get the OME lift, you have saved enough to get a sizable lift on the JK, as they seem to run cheaper.
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Member Looking for Dirt
    Jk is already lifted. I am just contemplating coilovers, prorock44 front, 37's, rubicrawler, supercharger, etc.

The engineer in me says IFS without correcting the angles is a bad thing. First and foremost, the XK is the family wagon. The wife drives it everyday with my kids in it and I don't want to make it less reliable or unsafe. I will probably end up with the superlift. XK's look great with the superlift and 33's! But then I will need sliders, tire carrier, bumper, etc.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    It wont be unsafe with the OME. But still.. go with the superlift

Member Looking for Dirt
    I wasn't meaning to imply the ome wouldn't be safe. I have had ome lifts and they generally ride very nice. I have just seen that IFS suspensions don't last well when the angles get bad, the superlift from what I have seen is the only lift that does anything to address this. I still may end up with the ome depending on which direction we decide to go, though I would prefer the superlift. We will see how things go this year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information