Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chrysler Recalls Almost 470,000 Jeep SUVs

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Chrysler Recalls Almost 470,000 Jeep SUVs

Chrysler is recalling 469,000 Jeep SUVs worldwide because they can shift into neutral without warning on startup.

The recall affects 2005 to 2010 Grand Cherokees and 2006 to 2010 Commanders.

U.S. safety regulators say cracks in a circuit board can cause a faulty signal as the SUVs are being started. If the vehicles shift into neutral they can roll away.

Chrysler says the problem has caused 26 crashes and two injuries.

Chrysler will notify owners and dealers will update software to take care of the problem. Chrysler found cracks in a circuit board that turns the four-wheel-drive system on and off.

Repairs will be made at no cost to owners.

The recall covers 295,000 vehicles in the U.S., 28,500 in Canada, and 4,200 in Mexico. The remaining 141,000 are outside North America.

The company says in documents filed with the National Highway Traffic Administration that it began looking into the problem after a customer complained that an SUV rolled away in January of 2012 after being started remotely.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Glad I don't have remote start. And my foot is always on the brake when I start my jeep
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    You have the same circuit board though.

Something doesn't seem right.... cracks in a circuit board are the root cause to the transfer case shifting into neutral, but ONLY when remote starting? I'm trying to wrap my head around why cracks would cause that under just one special condition. Other than the crack miraculously bridges a circuit that changes the control logic for that one special case, but that seems like a stretch.

Also begs the question how they know the crack won't propagate any further to cause any other problems.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    "Cracks in the circuit board" sounds like the simplified cover story for the layman. It has to be a lot more complicated than that. The article says only that the NHTA investigation began when a customer remote started his vehicle--not that it only happens on remote starts. I'll try to learn more when I take mine in.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Interesting.. Like Adam said I always have my foot on the brake when starting but as Matt mentioned what other problems can occur because of this "crack"? Also if it is a crack how is an update going to solve the issue?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialByFire View Post
    "Cracks in the circuit board" sounds like the simplified cover story for the layman. It has to be a lot more complicated than that. ......
    Quote Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
    ........ Also if it is a crack how is an update going to solve the issue?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    I was wondering the same thing. I know computer technology is always evolving, but a software fix for a cracked circuit board ? Mmmm perhaps all functions around the cracked area are electronically isolated and another part of the board is assigned to take over the isolated areas duties and functions ?

Science fiction or do we have that technology in our vehicles now ? I know what I think ....but I'm always open minded.....

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1USMC View Post

Science fiction or do we have that technology in our vehicles now ?
    Phasers set for... BS? Are we running plasma circuitry in the XKs? Let's see the Romulans top that! LOL

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    Phasers set for... BS? Are we running plasma circuitry in the XKs? Let's see the Romulans top that! LOL
    , ^^^^^ I love it ^^^^^ LOL

I did find a couple of official documents with more details.

> http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...3V175-1433.pdf

> http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...3V175-8078.PDF

Looks like a June start date for the recall.

But still .. flash update for a crack .... I'm with lekmedm ....
    Last edited by 1USMC; 05-12-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

Now if they could JUST tie it to leaky transmissions lines, we'd ALL have it made!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Cool, another recall to get taken care of along with the other two I've been putting off.
    2006 XK 4.7L QTII

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information