Thread: Drone after lift

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar

Drone after lift

Hi all! A couple of weeks ago I had the Superlift installed on my XK. I have the AEV XK Pintlers with 285/70R17 Wrangler Silent Armors installed.

So now at highway speeds (> 50mph) I have a drone of sorts that's rather annoying. I have had these tires in the past in stock size and know they can be nice and quiet. So I'm wondering if the drone has to do with the balancing method used. Anyone have any knowledge/experience with this? Could the drone be due to something else?
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    It could be due to balancing, but Id say its probably due to the larger size tire. What type of drone are you referring to? Is it steering responsive, meaning if you turn the wheel one way or another does sound come/go?
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Nope. Nothing to do with turning. Only speed related.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Hmm probably just the tires then, balancing would give you a shake in the wheel.. Not sure, I know with my MTRs are louder b/w 20-35 then 50+
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Might want to check your front diff fluid to make sure its full.

From there, it's probably just the tires. What pressure are you running?

The mechanic told me the front diff fluid was topped off with the lift install.

The tires are at around 34-35 psi.

Eh, I'll just have to come over, Matt, and have you check it for me!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Im good for that

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    It's probably just the tires. I was going to say wheel bearing as I just had a similar issue but you said that it has nothing to do with turning
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar

Exclamation

Check your 6...

'07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Thread Information