Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New CB antenna mount

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar

New CB antenna mount

I've been itching to get my CB antenna mount off the roof and down by the fender. Well, this is what I've come up with:

I ran out of time to move the stud and run the cable, but you get the idea.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Nice set up
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Nice!!

Just a quick FYI that I found out the hard way... make sure you get a ngp (no ground plane) coax and antenna kit for that location. Since the hood is non magnetic it doesnt act as a ground plane like the roof normally would .

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Nice!!

Just a quick FYI that I found out the hard way... make sure you get a ngp (no ground plane) coax and antenna kit for that location. Since the hood is non magnetic it doesnt act as a ground plane like the roof normally would .
    Yeah, I'm aware of that. My current setup is ground plane. I'm going to ground the mount with an extra wire and use the same stuff.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights

An extra ground won't help... but at the same time i haven't changed to a NGP setup because my CB has work sufficiently well at Rausch, and I don't think its bad enough to hurt anything. So you'll be good to go.

BUT, if you were going to order a new antenna and/or coax, might as well get the NGP stuff.

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar

Thumbs up

I'm gonna try mine on the C-pillar by the top of the hatch, as some others have tried - but that's an AWESOME looking setup!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Damn it's hot out!!! Not a big job, but I sweated up a storm. (I know I shouldn't complain since someone from Texas or Arizona will put me in my place where heat is concerned, but, hey, I'm a Northerner!)

So I put the stud on and ran my wire through the firewall. Here are the results:

I need to either spend the money for an SWR meter or find a friend with one. Any friends out there?

Next time I'm out driving, I'll see if any truckers can hear me. I still haven't grounded the mount like I said I would. One step at a time!

<----- friend

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    <----- friend

You gots da meter, friend???

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I like the way that looks
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information