Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New CB antenna mount

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Click on "black" and "silver".
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I ordered the black one last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I ordered the black one last night.

Atta' Boy!!!
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    Click on "black" and "silver".
    Found it thx
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Nice!!

Just a quick FYI that I found out the hard way... make sure you get a ngp (no ground plane) coax and antenna kit for that location. Since the hood is non magnetic it doesnt act as a ground plane like the roof normally would .
    You know what? I was just thinking about this. Magnetism has nothing to do with electrical conductivity. My whole house is wired with aluminum wiring (which I'm not a fan of, but that's another conversation). Our hoods are aluminum, not fiberglass, right? So an aluminum hood will conduct electricity and ground an antenna, no?

Thats true, but electrical conductivity does not correlate to making a good ground plane. Aluminum does not make a good ground plane.

I think you're confusing "ground plane" with "electric ground".... they're different things.

Im by no means an electrical engineer or a cb radio expert..... but this is what I do know:
    http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/GP-or-NGP.htm

Yeah, I read through that some time back. For the life of me, I can't remember if the system I bought is GP or NGP. Quite frankly, I think I must have gotten the NGP because things seem to be working quite nicely. I'm sure it'll be even better after the antenna gets a tune. I need to find an excuse to come over again, Matt!

I did have to do one little mod for my setup. The hole on the new mount is larger than the standard 3/8" size. I bought a couple of 3/8" stainless steel washers to sandwich on the stud for good measure.

Roger that man. I have an SWR meter here that's begging to be used!

You'll know if you have NGP or not when we tune it. If we can't get the SWR's within spec, you're probably like me. My CB works "fine", but I know my SWR's are in the red above channel 11.

We can throw some burgers on next time too

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information