Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No power below 2000RPM 5.7 xk

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar

No power below 2000RPM 5.7 xk

I'm having an issue where I don't get enough power to the wheels to move forward until about 2000 RPM. This is way above normal and is happening once the jeep is fully warmed up (after say 20mi of driving when I come back off the highway and have some around town driving).

Things I've noticed so far are, for instance, at a stop light I will hit the gas normally and nothing will happen. Then I hit it harder and it jerks forward, so I let off - nothing - hit it again jerk faster..... this can happen until I get up to speed, 50mph or so.

Another instance was stopped at my mail box. Went to proceed up the driveway and had to rev to 2000 RPM to get moving. The driveway is a slight slope, Not steep at all.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking clutch pack in the x-fer case or torque converter if it's mechanical.

The engine does not appear to be having issues. Runs smooth. No stalling. So I don't think it is an issue. Though I did once have a car with a worn out cam shaft that had next to no power - cam shaft lobes were warn off, nice and round.

I would say the clutch was warn out if it had one.......

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Does your transmission fluid smell burnt? When was the last time you serviced the transmission and transfer case??
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Try putting it in 4low and see if it still happens

this is a 2010 with 65,000 mi on it. I have not changed transmission or transfer case fluids.

Transmission fluid still looks new, didn't smell it.

Haven't opened the xfer case.

Could changing the fluids solve this issue?

Probably not. But see if we can rule things out by trying it with the tcase locked.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    You need to swap the fluid regardless on transfer case if it has 60,000 miles on it and never been changed. Try what Matt said with transfer case locked
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

I'll check 4lo when I get home from work. Took the wife's libby today so mine wouldn't get any worse. I never had any issues in the Bronco with tcase or diff fluid and that was up to 170,000 mi. But, no limited slip or clutch packs in either, so it was quite different. (don't have clutch packs in the xk diffs as it is QT2, but the t-case likely does).

If it does work in 4lo after I drive it long enough to exhibit the problem could a fluid change fix it or are the clutch packs shot?

Dont drive it around too long in 4-low. Drive around in normal 4-hi until the issue starts, then shift into 4-low and see if anything changes.

If it does work in 4-low, you may just need the clutch packs rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Dont drive it around too long in 4-low. Drive around in normal 4-hi until the issue starts, then shift into 4-low and see if anything changes.
    That's my intent.

Thanks!

Test drove yesterday evening and to and from work today (35mi each way) and can't reproduce the issue......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information