Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hydrolock fix on the trail

Member Looking for Dirt

hydrolock fix on the trail

hey guys I went off road yesterday here in central florida and traveled through a lot of water. tried to go across a long three foot puddle that had a huge dip mid way. when the front end dipped down, i sucked in water and hydrolocked. got pulled out went back to the camp site and pulled all the spark plugs out of the 4.7. cranked the engine, big water sprays, wd40, cranked again, put sparks plugs back in, and kept on trekking. here is the youtube of the first crank, spraying the water out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8aKIVict_ps
    if you cant copy and paste, in youtube, type in: orlando jeep club, hydrolock repair on the trail and see the video of the water spraying out. commanders are amazing. now the only problem is the two inches of water inside the cabin. we dont have "real" floor drain plugs. tried to remove the oem ones, even hammer them out, and no go. instead i drilled 3/8 holes and plugged them with polyurethane hole plug. now any ideas on how to get the water out of the inside cabin from the carpet and the underlying foam that are both completely soaked?

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    You got very lucky. That's why I have a snorkel
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Thats crazy.. best and really only way to remove the water from inside is to use a shop vac and/or shampooer.. I would honestly remove the whole interior carpet, pressure wash it with degreaser, then shop vac it and air dry it. Any other way will leave a nasty smell inside. If you dont take it out, Id crack windows and sunroof to air it out...
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    If you got a lot of water in there you're going to need to remove the seats and peel the carpet up so the underside can dry. That insulation/sound dampener will take forever to dry and you'll grow mold long before it dries out. Then once there's mold you're basically SOL and have to replace it.

Member Looking for Dirt
    carpet and padding would not dry. took the carpet out and i love it. decided to keep the carpet off and not to replace it. it looks tough and rugged. feels more jeep-ish. i thought it would be more noisier and really isn't. probably get some weathertech style floor mats. anyway, took all the seats out to get all the carpet out. front are easy, back seats are a bugger.

Cool. Any pics??

I might pull my carpet this summer and rhino line the floor. Take some pics for us
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    I might pull my carpet this summer and rhino line the floor. Take some pics for us
    I feel like that would turn my WK into an oven
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Quote Originally Posted by BonesWK View Post
    I feel like that would turn my WK into an oven
    Hmmmm think so??

Negative. Technically taking out the sound dampening material and carpet equates to less insulation. So on the contrary, it means it'll be harder to keep the cab warm in the winter. Will also initially cool down quicker in the summer (the effect of the interior being much hotter than the exterior will be reduced), but wont retain the a/c as well either.... turn the blower up one notch and you'll be good.
    Last edited by Matt; 07-02-2013 at 03:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information