Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing with CB location

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar

Playing with CB location

Well, my old CB had a stroke, and the new one is in!!! Now I'm playing around with an idea I had a while back. The previous CB was hanging on the panel under the steering wheel. Hidden is nice so you don't catch attention from straying eyes, but it's also a bit cumbersome to use. So I took a board and mounted the bracket to the board and put it here:

I think I'll wrap the board in some felt for some cushioning, but I'm wondering if there's a decent way to secure it to the dash so it doesn't rattle while on road or bounce around while off road.

Ideas?
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    3m molding tape, it's double sided and is supposed to hold like 5lbs per inch of tape.. it's like $5 a roll from lowes.

Hmmmm... Maybe. That may end up being my best option. I was hoping to be able to take the whole setup out when not in use, but I guess leaving the board in and unscrewing the CB for removal may be optimal. I'll have to look in to that tape.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights

velcro then...

Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    velcro then...
    Will the one half of velcro hold on to the dash??? I think it might not be sticky enough.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Marine grade hook & loop from Mcmaster.com will adhere to anything...

You have a ton of surface area there to work with, I'm sure several strips of self adhesive velcro will get the job done.. if it doesn't end up holding to the dash side, a few more dollars after 6+ months of use and you will be ready to roll again

or better yet.. attach the velcro with 3m molding tape

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar
    I'm looking at this little gizmo now, as a way to offset my radio down closer to the shifter. It bends & telescopes enough directions, that I think it'll work, with that base properly mounted.

'07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    Will the one half of velcro hold on to the dash??? I think it might not be sticky enough.

Hey did you cover the wood and find a way to better secure it to the dash ?
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4" Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information