Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lift Completed - Now Shopping 18" Tires

Member Looking for Dirt

Lift Completed - Now Shopping 18" Tires

I just had an OME HD springs shocks installed and Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers ready to go, so now my attention is fully focused on tires. I have dreams of wheelin but with my location and the condition of my Commander (very good) I suspect my offroad excursions will be limited. It seems all the trails here are narrow so the potential to significantly scratch the black pain is really high. I'm not scared of a few marks but I don't want to ruin it either since it is still only car. I likely be very selective where I choose to venture off highway. My wife has a car but for winter foul weather the Commander will be our main transportation. I will add that tread wear is not much of a concern because I live so close to work I only put on about 7500 miles a year. I'm set on an all-terrain tires so it won't be as loud for my daily commute to work.

Size
    My research suggests that 265/65/18s are the largest I can run and I could see potentially a little rubbing with those. If I with 265/60/18 I would get a few more tire choices. The smaller size would not only give me more options, fit the spare tire well more easily, and throw the speedometer off less. The larger tire would get me another 0.5" clearance (1") overall taller and thus fill up the wheel better.

Tire selection
    The Toyo Open Country and Goodyear Silent Armor are both available in the 65 profile size. The 60 profile has the same to with the additional option of Michelin LTX AT2.

Any suggestions? At the moment I'm leaning toward the 65 series Goodyear Silent Armor's. They seem to get positive reviews and I can currently get $160 rebates on them.
    2008 Jeep Commander Overland

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    I loved the Silent Armors I had on my commander.. I beat them up and never had an issue with a sidewall puncture or anything offroad.

That said I've never owned a single toyo tire.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    With the pinch weld mod you should have no issues with 265/65/18s. Im running the 275/65/18 Toyo AT-IIs... so you know what my recommendation is.

Member Looking for Dirt
    How tough is the pinch weld mod? A few weekend ago I got a dose of reality with the attempted strut install. It totally kicked my ass trying to get them off. I ended up taking it to a shop to get completed.

Also when you do the pinch weld, the plastic inner fender remains s tact, correct? Just heated and stretched a bit?

Based upon the lift install experience, I should go with the 60 series if the job is very substantial.

The pinch weld is pretty easy. I have a write-up in the "how to" section here.

The past 3 vehicles ive done the mod to I haven't messed with heating the liner. Instead ive used a self tapping screw to pull the liner back. Pretty sure I added that to the "how to" as well. A week ago I did lekmedem's pinch weld and just had to add a zip tip to the passenger side in addition to the screw.

Member Looking for Dirt
    I'll check out the "how to" for sure.

Btw, I picked up the Commander today. I haven't measured yet, but I'm pretty sure it is sitting higher in the front. Will it settle out in a week or so? Others have reported nearly level ride with the OME HD kit.

I would give it a few days, but don't expect it to settle too much. Does it look like its leaning to the drivers side??

Member Looking for Dirt
    I measured it earlier this evening, the front was 1" higher. it seems consistent on both sides. I had all the old suspension parts in the cargo area when I measured. I hope that was causing the rear to sag a little but I'm not holding my breath.

If it doesn't level out, can I just get a spacer added to the rear?

No shop locally carriers Toyos anymore. One said they can get them but it will take a few days and they want a lot.

Yes you could add spacers or even longer springs for the rear. Find someone with a superlift who put 6" springs in and buy their 4" springs.

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    I have a set of SL rear springs that I don't need!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information