Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Warning to those with Superlifts

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by powderhorn View Post
    Called Rustys Offroad yesterday and ordered the adjustable upper arms should be here in a couple days. Thanks for the heads up Mark!
    Just curious... What prompted you to place the order? Are you hearing noise, or is this just prophylactic?

I also wonder how your front drive shaft is holding up. Brad at Carolina Driveline told me that he sees a lot of lifted Grand Cherokees that use these shafts (since MY1999!) and have them failing at the TC. I'll be the first XK getting this setup.
    Last edited by lekmedm; 10-25-2013 at 05:21 AM. Reason: clarifying model year
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Member Looking for Dirt powderhorn's Avatar
    Prophylactic , sounds like a Medical Device!! My oldest kid 32 can come up with some words, but on the other hand he is a Blackhawk Helecopter Pilot. How about a little preventive maintenance. No noise yet. Front Driveline seems OK so far. Only 39k miles.
    I also had a 99 Grand Cherokee that I lifted never had any drive line issues got rid of it at 135k mi.
    My Dodge 2500 Diesel has a front drive line like your getting and I think my old CJ7 did too. New design not always better. But I never thought I would have a independent front end either.

Quote Originally Posted by powderhorn View Post
    Prophylactic , sounds like a Medical Device!! My oldest kid 32 can come up with some words, but on the other hand he is a Blackhawk Helecopter Pilot. How about a little preventive maintenance. No noise yet. Front Driveline seems OK so far. Only 39k miles.
    Medical is what I'm all about, but that sounds boring compared to Blackhawk Helicopter Pilot!
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Hey Mark... with the Superlift are you able to replace the front driveshaft without dropping the trans crossmember?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Hey Mark... with the Superlift are you able to replace the front driveshaft without dropping the trans crossmember?
    Nope!

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

Damn.... I have two "good" OEM front shafts so I figure i'll wear them both out before upgrading after I do the SL. Was hoping it was a but easier to swap them out after the lift install!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Damn.... I have two "good" OEM front shafts so I figure i'll wear them both out before upgrading after I do the SL. Was hoping it was a but easier to swap them out after the lift install!
    Well, maybe you can sell your new one? What does OEM cost? I think if I were to recommend the SL to anyone today, I would tell them to do a "one and done" install with the rear UCAs and front DS. More cash, but just one job.

Jay also had to drop/loosen the crossmember to get the DS in. It's not too bad when you support the trans. Just need the four bolts on either end.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

Oh i'll definitely be doing the rear UCA's at the same time.

I already have the "new" driveshaft in.... so neither are brand new (i thought it was causing an issue that it wasnt). The R&R dropping the trans crossmember isn't that bad; was just hoping it was a 10 minute job after the superlift instead of a 30 minute job.

Still waiting on the UCA's look like they are built to order. Sounds like they are out for powder coating should ship soon. Sounds like the new DS is the way to go. Not a big fan of the CV joint drive line. My Dodge Diesel has the good ol u joints and double Cardon on the front. Changed the joints in the rear last year they are way big!!
    Last edited by powderhorn; 11-03-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Just installed the Rustys Upper Control Arms to correct the pinion angle. Had to cut off the small mount for the sensor and weld onto the new one, mine is a 2010. Don't know when they started putting the sensors on the links and A arms?
    Had to drop the fuel tank in the rear to get the one bolt out. Other than that it went pretty easy. Pinion angle now straight!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information