Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refilling the A/C System in the XK

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    I'm thinking the tools cost less than the labor so it's a solid investment and you know on the old rusty xj something else is going to spring a leak sooner or later.
    Im trying to remember what we charged.... I think it was about $180 for a complete a/c recharge with dye (varied based on the capacity of the system). Last I looked (because my neighbor needs ac work) a manifold $ pump kit was over $400, plus I still needed freon.

Let me know what you end up getting though; I may want to borrow your setup.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    It's $60ish for the manifold gauges, and this little dodad is said to work in place of a real pump.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vac...ors-96677.html

Now you have me looking again.... I have a tendency to look at the more brand name supplies. I don't know how much I trust the harbor freight dodad lol but this doesn't look too bad:
    http://www.amazon.com/FJC-KIT6-Vacuu...d_sim_sbs_hi_1

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    I have to check but I think Autozone has a vacuum pump for rent, and possibly gauges, but not sure on either yet.. when I go to buy my replacement parts I'll be asking...

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Now you have me looking again.... I have a tendency to look at the more brand name supplies. I don't know how much I trust the harbor freight dodad lol but this doesn't look too bad:
    http://www.amazon.com/FJC-KIT6-Vacuu...d_sim_sbs_hi_1
    Matt. That's what my buddy Jay has.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

What kind of issue did he have when trying to refill your system?

Well first off that vac pump didn't totally vac everything out of the ac system. Then when he went to charge it he couldn't get the exact amount of freon back in the system to the proper specs. It ended up getting a hair over charged while led to an idling issue. The dealer vacc'd the system for me and put in the proper amount of freon and it fixed the idle issue
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Yeah I can see how that'd be an issue. The professional units are setup to put exactly the amount of freon needed back in the system.

Exactly. And our XK's don't like it when the system is under/over charged!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    I just had a shot of freon put in the XK. Air wasnt cold enough for me!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information