Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HIDS

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar

HIDS

So I have a question for those who have installed any after market lights.

I had 6000k HIDS from Xentec installed yesterday. They look awesome and im very happy. With that said, they seem to work when they want to work? Once I unlock the truck the firsr time they turn on, and when I start the truck they also go on. However if I turn them off they wont turn back on right away...I literally have to wait 5-10 minutes to reunlock truck/turn truck on to bring the lights back on. On top of that when I lock the truck the lights do turn off but they strobe for about 15 seconds before turning completely off.

Sorry for the long description but has anyone heard of or encountered such an issue? When they work they work great......
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

Just realized I have an open thread on this already lol sorry

2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    You need to have a relay installed.. Also, turn the setting off that turns the lights on when you unlock the truck, the constant on/off will burn out your ballasts. HIDs are sick but they can be a pain! How do you have them wired? It should be a very straight forward plug and play with a relay...
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Quote Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
    You need to have a relay installed.. Also, turn the setting off that turns the lights on when you unlock the truck, the constant on/off will burn out your ballasts. HIDs are sick but they can be a pain! How do you have them wired? It should be a very straight forward plug and play with a relay...
    Ill definitely turn that option off for unlock.

Its definitely a really easy setup. It only goes in one way but im not sure if theres a relay? Not even sure how to go about that. One thing I know is one part goes into the oem harness and another into this little black box that tapes to the truck (ballest??)

2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

The way I had it wired is this:
    power from + terminal on battery with inline fuse to relay, grounded to - terminal plugged into ballast, ballast to drivers OEM harness.. Then should have long wires to reach passenger assembly ballast to lights with a ground wire. Passenger OEM harness does not get used, tape up to cover exposed terminal.

If yours isnt hooked up that way you will get flickering and that will ruin the ballasts.
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Quote Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
    The way I had it wired is this:
    power from + terminal on battery with inline fuse to relay, grounded to - terminal plugged into ballast, ballast to drivers OEM harness.. Then should have long wires to reach passenger assembly ballast to lights with a ground wire. Passenger OEM harness does not get used, tape up to cover exposed terminal.

If yours isnt hooked up that way you will get flickering and that will ruin the ballasts.
    Yeah that sounds much more involved then this set-up. I am irritated because the first set I bought from another company had bad bulbs, and when we put them in they started smoking.

Now that I got a new set from a different company they work fine, and now these issues start. Sometimes they won't even turn on.....

The set up with these are (2) wires go from the ballast to the OEM harness, and (2) additional wires go from the ballast directly into the light socket.

I wish I would have known I needed a relay and possibly a capacitor/canceler before going into this lol....

I am at a point of just returning them and going back to OEM lights......
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

Haha bro the relay install is cake! But you definitely need the relay for them to work correctly. I did tell you not to cheap out on the HID kit!!!! Its really not difficult to plug in the relay, just go to autozone get a relay kit for like $10-20 and install. If I were keeping the XK I was going to installl new HID kit for HL and FL..

Okay, ill definitely take your advice and go get a relay kit tonight. Do you have a dumbed down explination on how to install the relay? Lol

2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

There are a bunch of threads and pics if you google, thats what I did and picked the one easiest for me to understand..

Thanks brother! Ill let you know how I make out.

2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information