Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: War Wagon's CB/Scanner install

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar
    Believe it or not, I actually got EVERYTHING installed today!!! I got it all figured out - pictures to follow, BUT... I'm a 6' jumper of co-ax short, of actually having it all together!!!

Radio Shack has a 10' strand available - I may run out and get it tonite. I'll also post pics shortly as well!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Exclamation

OK - went to Radio Shack last night, and got my last strand of co-ax for this install. It was hot, muggy, stormy, and late when I got home - all BAD combos trying to adjust and ANTENNA, so I'm gonna hafta get back after that on another day. Here's what I spent the BETTER part of Monday doing, though.

The old mounting spot was just too flimsy, but now I'm left with holes in my plastic! Got these little doo-dads at Lowe's.

Supposed to plug a hole in a Nissan, according to the instructions, but they work nicely in a Jeep, too! (Still gotta scrub that permanent marker off, too...)

Decided to mout it here instead - much sturdier mounting point, although I hate making MORE holes in the dash.

That, and these screws SUCK! I went back and got different ones later in the day, but no pics of THEM installed.

As for the SCANNER antenna, well, that's a Larsen, and I stuck it on the side of the hood, just as lekmedm did with his CB antenna.

Completely forgot to take a picture of the antenna in place... D'OHHH! Oh well, something for a future post!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Lightbulb

Here's my antenna, snaking around the hood & door post, and avoiding any more drilling!

Storing the excess!

Mofset power cords, coming BACK through the same route!

I did take a grinding bit, and trim a little of the metal underneath the insulation, to get the wires a little notch to lay low on, while getting the insulation BACK into place.

10awg to the terminals!

Wilson Silver Load 4' 750 watt antenna installed (no - all the wires AROUND it belong to the neighborhood! ). On a barrel spring and quick detach mounted. NOT tuned yet either... NEXT Monday's project, I suspect...

Cool

Baby girl, modeling with my setup.

Scanner WORKS!

Here's what it all LOOKS like together (my mic cord is waaaaay too long) - still gotta fine tune the CB, but we're ALMOST home now...

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Looks like its coming together very nicely !

Looking good !

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    Be careful running the wires under the door seal/weather stripping. It'll leak like mine did.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Quote Originally Posted by criket View Post
    Be careful running the wires under the door seal/weather stripping. It'll leak like mine did.
    Yeah, I wanna take my grinding bits, and make a big enough notch for the wires to pass through, AND so that the weatherstripping goes BACK in flush. I'm working on it...

Easier solution = just caulk around the gap that is made from the wires underneath the weather stripping. It solved my issues. But whatever makes it look the best. I don't care sometimes on my jeep, especially when it is just the way something looks that no one will ever see. Function before form.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Quote Originally Posted by criket View Post
    Easier solution = just caulk around the gap that is made from the wires underneath the weather stripping. It solved my issues. But whatever makes it look the best. I don't care sometimes on my jeep, especially when it is just the way something looks that no one will ever see. Function before form.
    Whaddya think - would some RTV silicone git 'r' done?

LOL yea I gues that'll git 'r' done. You got an awesome mod going on there. nicely done. I really want to upgrade my cb and install a scanner. I'm thinking about removing my radio and putting them there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information