Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The begginers' handgun.......??

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar

The begginers' handgun.......??

What's a good "beginners" handgun to use? I've been wanting to get my girlfriend and myself some concieled weapon permits and buy our first handguns. Purchased a couple of magazines for reviews but, there are so many makes out there, I don't know where to begin.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    The best thing to do is find a local indoor range that rents weapons for use on the property and try out a few handguns. I personally like the Glock and would recommend she try one starting with the 9mm and move up in caliber until there is too much recoil for her (I like the 357).
    Last edited by Knappster; 08-13-2010 at 11:45 AM.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    X2 on a range with rentals. She will prob want to stay with a 9mm, but she will have to hold and feel some different one to find one that fits her hands. Glocks are good but they dont feel right in my hand ( I have small hands ). I carry a Springfield XD .45. It has a 4" barrel and I carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck holster. Even with my small framed body of 125 lbs wet, you would never know I had a full frame pistol under my shirt.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    A very simple beginners gun would be most double action revolvers. They're simple and safe, especially when compared to semi-autos. Most people who get accidentally shot are from someone who thinks an auto is empty, when it actually has a round ''up the pipe.'' (A chambered round, which stays even with the magazine removed)

A DA revolver fires by just pulling the trigger, with a hard pull for the most part, (For short range self defense mode) or you cock the hammer first then have a light trigger pull. (For better accuracy) No magazine to load up, no pulling a slide back to chamber a round first, no worrying about releasing the safety(s) etc.

A good conceal weapon is a Charter Arms Bulldog. The five shot .44 is a hand cannon. They're a short barrel that you'd expect Mickey Spillane P.I. to pack. The .38 or .357 might be better for your girlfriend to handle, as the light .44 kicks like a mule.
    Last edited by Adondo; 08-12-2010 at 01:09 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    x3 on the rental. But beware, that's how I got hooked on 1911's...

I just got my wife a Taurus PT138 - it's a small frame semi-auto in .380ACP. She never even held a gun before this one. She likes it. A .380 is about the same size as a 9mm round but less recoil; though arguably not a good defensive round. I am helping my neighbor's aunt select a gun as well and we are leaning towards the Taurus 709 Slim. Also a light, small semi-auto in 9mm. It is hard to go wrong with a decent revolver though.

How about a Thompson .445 Supermag? Single shot, but that's all you need!

Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    The best thing to do is find a local indoor range that rents weapons for use on the property and try out a few handguns. I personally like the Glock and would recommend she try one starting with the 9mm and move up in caliber until there is too much recoil for her (I like the 357).
    That's a good idea Knappster, I'll have to look around and find the nearest one to me. I've heard good things about the Glocks, I will deffinately look into those. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    X2 on a range with rentals. She will prob want to stay with a 9mm, but she will have to hold and feel some different one to find one that fits her hands. Glocks are good but they dont feel right in my hand ( I have small hands ). I carry a Springfield XD .45. It has a 4" barrel and I carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck holster. Even with my small framed body of 125 lbs wet, you would never know I had a full frame pistol under my shirt.
    Good to know, thanks NeilSmith.

Quote Originally Posted by Adondo View Post
    A very simple beginners gun would be most double action revolvers. They're simple and safe, especially when compared to semi-autos. Most people who get accidentally shot are from someone who thinks an auto is empty, when it actually has a round ''up the pipe.'' (A chambered round, which stays even with the magazine removed)

A DA revolver fires by just pulling the trigger, with a hard pull for the most part, (For short range self defense mode) or you cock the hammer first then have a light trigger pull. (For better accuracy) No magazine to load up, no pulling a slide back to chamber a round first, no worrying about releasing the safety(s) etc.

A good conceal weapon is a Charter Arms Bulldog. The five shot .44 is a hand cannon. They're a short barrel that you'd expect Mickey Spillane P.I. to pack. The .38 or .357 might be better for your girlfriend to handle, as the light .44 kicks like a mule.
    I agree, I was leaning towards a DA revolver till my girl said she wants a semi-auto. She said she wanted a pink one...................LOL........I just shook my head. Thanks adondo

Quote Originally Posted by brendon View Post
    x3 on the rental. But beware, that's how I got hooked on 1911's...

I just got my wife a Taurus PT138 - it's a small frame semi-auto in .380ACP. She never even held a gun before this one. She likes it. A .380 is about the same size as a 9mm round but less recoil; though arguably not a good defensive round. I am helping my neighbor's aunt select a gun as well and we are leaning towards the Taurus 709 Slim. Also a light, small semi-auto in 9mm. It is hard to go wrong with a decent revolver though.

How about a Thompson .445 Supermag? Single shot, but that's all you need!
    I'll have to look those up and do some research. I deffinately want her to have a light "pocket" sized gun that she can conciel easily. Thanks brendon
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you guys have pics of your weapons? If so, please post a pic on here.....
    Last edited by Knappster; 08-13-2010 at 11:45 AM.
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Gander Mountain is selling a S & W .40 w/laser for $399..........Is this a good deal? I did a little research on this gun and have gotten mixed reviews. I know that the earlier versions had issues jamming, ect. but, all the reviews I've read about the current model are praising this gun. Is a .40 cal better than a 9mm as far as accuracy and power?

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Gander Mountain is selling a S & W .40 w/laser for $399..........Is this a good deal? I did a little research on this gun and have gotten mixed reviews. I know that the earlier versions had issues jamming, ect. but, all the reviews I've read about the current model are praising this gun. Is a .40 cal better than a 9mm as far as accuracy and power?
    I do not know anything about the gun so I cannot tell you if it is a good or bad weapon...

Your second question: Is a .40 cal better than a 9mm as far as accuracy and power? accuracy is solely dependent upon the shooter, a 9mm & 40 mm are exactly the same accuracy as each other, the question is can the shooter be accurate with both guns? to answer that she will have to shoot the guns. The 9mm will have far less recoil and therefore be faster to regain target and be more accurate for someone with little strength or experience.

As to power, the 40 is a much more powerful gun than the 9mm but compensation can be made by adjusting the type of ammo you leave in the gun. must people practice with cheap ammo and then carry with a different type depending on it's purpose. I carry with hollow-points but I do not waste money by shooting that for practice.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I'll have to look those up and do some research. I definitely want her to have a light "pocket" sized gun that she can conciel easily. Thanks brendon
    You really want a gun that hides away? How about an American Arms .22 magnum?

It's a little mule to fire, but you'll get a 6 foot diameter fireball out the front when it does. The 'pop' is pretty massive too. A few cops I know pack these for secondary backups, as the .22 magnum does damage. It's a ''belly gun'' though, forget about aiming for accuracy. My mom has one of these little stainless steel gems. One cop I know did have to use one in a bad situation years ago, and the perp got tore up pretty bad.

I also have one, a short barrel, it makes a great boot gun. The recovery is a bit slow after firing, because it kicks bad, and there's not much grip to hang onto. I also have a Freedom Arms version, but the quality is not as high, and the grip's even smaller and black bakelight. It's even harder to recover after a shot. (It ends up pointing straight up)
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    I do not know anything about the gun so I cannot tell you if it is a good or bad weapon...

Your second question: Is a .40 cal better than a 9mm as far as accuracy and power? accuracy is solely dependent upon the shooter, a 9mm & 40 mm are exactly the same accuracy as each other, the question is can the shooter be accurate with both guns? to answer that she will have to shoot the guns. The 9mm will have far less recoil and therefore be faster to regain target and be more accurate for someone with little strength or experience.

As to power, the 40 is a much more powerful gun than the 9mm but compensation can be made by adjusting the type of ammo you leave in the gun. must people practice with cheap ammo and then carry with a different type depending on it's purpose. I carry with hollow-points but I do not waste money by shooting that for practice.
    I agree that accuracy is up to the shooter but, it also depends on the gun, right? Is a 9mm bullet more "user" friendly than a .40 apc?

Also, wouldn't you want to practice shooting with the bullets you intend to use? I understand the $$$ side of using cheaper ammo to practice but, does the weapon react differently with different ammo?

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information