Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What To Go To School For?

Senior Member Getting Dirty oleblue27's Avatar

What To Go To School For?

What's up guys! I am returning to school this fall and am completely dumbfounded on what I want to do! I dont find any interest in what the colleges near me offer. I am only interested in working on cars! I'd love to go to wyotech for their Custom Hot Rod and Fab program but I read that its a waste of money and they don't teach you anything.. /: I guess my question is, what jobs out there are really blowing up or becoming popular where I could make a decent living? Any help is much appreciated!
    06 4.7 | Modded 6" Lift | JBA 6" Coils | Rustys Rear UCA's | Fox Shocks | JBA UCA's | Gibson Catback w/ FM S44 Muffler | K&N CAI | Hypertech | 4.56 Gears | Powertrax Locker | Autolite Iridiums | Mobil 1 (engine&diff) | 34" BFG AT's | 20x9 Ultra Gauntlet | EBC Dimpled&Slotted Rotors | Hawk Ceramic Pads | Blue Interior LED's | Husky Floor Liners | VVME 8000k HID | Pioneer AVH-P8400BH | Tinted LED Tail Lights

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Coming from someone who loves working on cars, and did it for a living....... dont limit yourself to that career field! Trust me the LAST thing you're going to want to do after working on cars 11hrs a day all week is tinker on your own automotive projects on your day off. I enjoy working on my own and my friends cars so much more now that its not what I do for a living.

With that said, look into other trades that I believe are going to be in huge demand very soon. Plumbing, electricians and HVAC. I have friends in these trades who make really good bank because competition is weaning. Over the past ~20 years the "need" to go to college for a 4 year degree has been force fed down everyone's throats so rather than go into trade work people have been getting arts or social sciences degrees and now cant find work because they think they're too smart or "enlightened" to do any real work.

Edit: understanding that the above opinion is based on what I see in my little corner of the world.... so this could change a lot based on local factors
    Last edited by Matt; 08-06-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty oleblue27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Coming from someone who loves working on cars, and did it for a living....... dont limit yourself to that career field! Trust me the LAST thing you're going to want to do after working on cars 11hrs a day all week is tinker on your own automotive projects on your day off. I enjoy working on my own and my friends cars so much more now that its not what I do for a living.

With that said, look into other trades that I believe are going to be in huge demand very soon. Plumbing, electricians and HVAC. I have friends in these trades who make really good bank because competition is weaning. Over the past ~20 years the "need" to go to college for a 4 year degree has been force fed down everyone's throats so rather than go into trade work people have been getting arts or social sciences degrees and now cant find work because they think they're too smart or "enlightened" to do any real work.

Edit: understanding that the above opinion is based on what I see in my little corner of the world.... so this could change a lot based on local factors

Thank you sir! I actually have a little bit of hvac experience working as an assistant with a company locally for while. I am going to be going to school full-time this fall for general studies and spring I am looking into the HVAC/R program offered at the local technicial school. Thanks for your help man!
    06 4.7 | Modded 6" Lift | JBA 6" Coils | Rustys Rear UCA's | Fox Shocks | JBA UCA's | Gibson Catback w/ FM S44 Muffler | K&N CAI | Hypertech | 4.56 Gears | Powertrax Locker | Autolite Iridiums | Mobil 1 (engine&diff) | 34" BFG AT's | 20x9 Ultra Gauntlet | EBC Dimpled&Slotted Rotors | Hawk Ceramic Pads | Blue Interior LED's | Husky Floor Liners | VVME 8000k HID | Pioneer AVH-P8400BH | Tinted LED Tail Lights

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    Matt makes an excellent point..... just make sure you have the right mentality to run your own small business. You can make tons of money in the fields Matt mentioned as long as you are your own boss and not working for someone else.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Any kind of engineering. Civil, petroleum, electrical, etc.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Senior Member Getting Dirty sean112280's Avatar
    Any IT jobs usually are a wanted field and the pay is pretty good.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Anything IT & Medical you will set.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar

Question

WHILE you're still young... have you thought about the military? 11Bravo may not have a lot of civilian "applicability," but there are OTHER MOS's where you can learn some GREAT skills, earn your G.I. Bill benefits, and maybe - after 4 years of work in the motorpool - decide if that's REALLY what you want to do for a living.

The older I get, the more I regret not serving when I had the chance. 4 years might seem like a L-O-N-G time, but looking back - at just age 46 - I realize now how short that would've been, and how much further ahead in life I would've been, had I done that first...

Food for thought.
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sean112280 View Post
    Any IT jobs usually are a wanted field and the pay is pretty good.
    This, Unless you are working the service desk for your company. They were the first to be laid off and moved abroad because it was cheaper. If you go IT, get certified or work a specialized job.

I agree with joining the the service too, if I were to do it again I probably would have finished college and go to Officer Training school or something along those lines.
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Senior Member Getting Dirty sean112280's Avatar
    or you can be like me and be active duty Army and in the IT field

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information