Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What To Go To School For?

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sean112280 View Post
    or you can be like me and be active duty Army and in the IT field
    double win
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    I wouldnt do something just for higher pay. Its rare anyone loves their career field 100%. Most fields have their ups and downs. However, I would choose something you have interest in but as others have already mentioned Id be sure its a profitable career as well as a "needed" field. As Matt dabbed on, I know many people with degrees AND experience but in a field where jobs are so limited or tough to make a decent salary. I went tl school for Criminal Justice and ended up becoming a manager at a credit union.....but I really enjoy it thankfully.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty oleblue27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    WHILE you're still young... have you thought about the military? 11Bravo may not have a lot of civilian "applicability," but there are OTHER MOS's where you can learn some GREAT skills, earn your G.I. Bill benefits, and maybe - after 4 years of work in the motorpool - decide if that's REALLY what you want to do for a living.

The older I get, the more I regret not serving when I had the chance. 4 years might seem like a L-O-N-G time, but looking back - at just age 46 - I realize now how short that would've been, and how much further ahead in life I would've been, had I done that first...

Food for thought.

Yeah long story... I had a Navy Seal contract out of high school, made it to week 4-3 in boot camp, and got sent home cause I was prescribed ADHD medication while in high school. So military is kinda out of the picture. And also, I am a dependent of my Father, and being in South Carolina, I go to school for FREE and get $1000 every month from the VA as long as im enrolled in 12 credit hours.
    06 4.7 | Modded 6" Lift | JBA 6" Coils | Rustys Rear UCA's | Fox Shocks | JBA UCA's | Gibson Catback w/ FM S44 Muffler | K&N CAI | Hypertech | 4.56 Gears | Powertrax Locker | Autolite Iridiums | Mobil 1 (engine&diff) | 34" BFG AT's | 20x9 Ultra Gauntlet | EBC Dimpled&Slotted Rotors | Hawk Ceramic Pads | Blue Interior LED's | Husky Floor Liners | VVME 8000k HID | Pioneer AVH-P8400BH | Tinted LED Tail Lights

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oleblue27 View Post
    Yeah long story... I had a Navy Seal contract out of high school, made it to week 4-3 in boot camp, and got sent home cause I was prescribed ADHD medication while in high school. So military is kinda out of the picture. And also, I am a dependent of my Father, and being in South Carolina, I go to school for FREE and get $1000 every month from the VA as long as im enrolled in 12 credit hours.
    Damn, no wonder you 6" lift and so many mods.

just get a Business Degree or something general, then proceed with you next move after, especially since its free. Then open your own 4x4 shop with the money you are saving (I Hope) each month.

Want to know a local success story - look up LowRange 4x4 in Wilmington, NC. Total small business success story.
    Last edited by BonesWK; 08-08-2013 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Was a little harsh earlier - my bad.
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Yeah that info drastically changes potentials. ....

Your first post made it seem like you were limited to vocational opportunities. Definitely sounds like you should, at a minimum, get a business associates degree and possibly continue on for a bachelors. Are you good at math/science? If so you may want to look into engineering as Mark recommended. There are also engineering science degrees that are more targeted for field techs which might interest you if you arent confident in being able to obtain a full engineering bachelors degree.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesWK View Post
    Damn, no wonder you 6" lift and so many mods.

just get a Business Degree or something general, then proceed with you next move after, especially since its free. Then open your own 4x4 shop with the money you are saving (I Hope) each month.

Want to know a local success story - look up LowRange 4x4 in Wilmington, NC. Total small business success story.

Lol, I havent been to school since Fall 2012! I have a little over $1100 in bills to pay every month including car payment, gas, insurance, cellphone etc.. I have a side business apart from work which makes me ~1000-1500 extra a month. and NO its not illegal hahaha.
    06 4.7 | Modded 6" Lift | JBA 6" Coils | Rustys Rear UCA's | Fox Shocks | JBA UCA's | Gibson Catback w/ FM S44 Muffler | K&N CAI | Hypertech | 4.56 Gears | Powertrax Locker | Autolite Iridiums | Mobil 1 (engine&diff) | 34" BFG AT's | 20x9 Ultra Gauntlet | EBC Dimpled&Slotted Rotors | Hawk Ceramic Pads | Blue Interior LED's | Husky Floor Liners | VVME 8000k HID | Pioneer AVH-P8400BH | Tinted LED Tail Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Yeah that info drastically changes potentials. ....

Your first post made it seem like you were limited to vocational opportunities. Definitely sounds like you should, at a minimum, get a business associates degree and possibly continue on for a bachelors. Are you good at math/science? If so you may want to look into engineering as Mark recommended. There are also engineering science degrees that are more targeted for field techs which might interest you if you arent confident in being able to obtain a full engineering bachelors degree.
    I'm a very hands on type of guy. I like working with electric and dont mind getting sweaty or dirty. The tech school near me offers the HVAC/R program that I think I am going to get into this coming spring.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information