Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad pulley or what?

Senior Member Getting Dirty

Bad pulley or what?

So I've noticed a banging/rattling at idle so I crawled under my jeep and have kind of pinpointed it to the front bottom end of the motor. I want to say its the crankshaft pulley, however I am wondering what else it could be? It's a 4.7 with 115k on her. Thoughts??
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    is it a consistent sound that's always there at idle, or is it intermittent?

happens when the engines warm or cold, or doesn't matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    is it a consistent sound that's always there at idle, or is it intermittent?

happens when the engines warm or cold, or doesn't matter?
    Doesn't happen at start up, takes a minute but once the rattle gets going its pretty constant at idle.
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Take the serp belt off. Manually spin all of the pulleys to see if there's a dead giveaway. If you're unsure, start the engine with the belt off and see if the noise is there (won't hurt anything to run it like this at idle for a few minutes... just watch the temp gauge)

i noticed it does it more when there is not load per say on the engine- when im sitting in neutral, foot on the brake just idling its more constent. when its in drive and i have my foot on the brake it does it but its more intermittent.
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

well.... found the source of the sound- bad crankshaft pulley. after stopping for gas yesterday and popping the hood while it was running, you can see the crankshaft pulley has some play it in at idle, theres a bit of a wobble to it.

so im thinking ill be ordering a new one from rockauto, local shop wants $200 to install it
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
    well.... found the source of the sound- bad crankshaft pulley. after stopping for gas yesterday and popping the hood while it was running, you can see the crankshaft pulley has some play it in at idle, theres a bit of a wobble to it.

so im thinking ill be ordering a new one from rockauto, local shop wants $200 to install it
    $200 to install a crank pulley?!?!? You can do that yourself. I'd recommend changing out the front seal while the pulley is off.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    $200 to install a crank pulley?!?!? You can do that yourself. I'd recommend changing out the front seal while the pulley is off.
    yea $200 to drain and fill the radiator since that has to come out and the fan and stuff, as well as install the new balancer. i didnt see a seal on rockauto..

i just priced one on rock auto and a new belt- those along with new front brake pads and new wheel speed sensors was $180 shipped, i love that site.

i cant believe coolant is so much- she is due for a flush
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    I think he's referring to the crank seal..
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
    yea $200 to drain and fill the radiator since that has to come out and the fan and stuff, as well as install the new balancer. i didnt see a seal on rockauto..

i just priced one on rock auto and a new belt- those along with new front brake pads and new wheel speed sensors was $180 shipped, i love that site.

i cant believe coolant is so much- she is due for a flush
    Ummm who told you the radiator has to come out to replace the crank pulley?!?!? I hope it wasn't your mechanic or I'd highly recommend finding a new one ASAP. As far as the seal I got mine right from the dealer to ensure I was getting the correct seal.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information