Thread: Defender Roof Rack and Lights (FINALLY) Installed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar

Defender Roof Rack and Lights (FINALLY) Installed

Now the long awaited installation of my roof rack and lights had finally arrived! I had ordered the Defender #45505 Roof Rack and their bracket kit # DS 24-6.

After One and Half Years from my order of the Defender Roof Rack, it finally arrived and was installed. Yes 1 ½ years…. To see why this took soooooo long and the problems incurred click here >

http://http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?2269-Defender-Roof-Rack-update&p=41398&viewfull=1#post41398

So I know I will get a little carried away with this thread and post way to much. I know it is only a roof rack and some lights mod… but for me… it was a long time coming. So finally here is my install thread and photos .. >> LOL ;-)

My Rigid Lights have been waiting almost the same amount of time for the rack to come in. They include;

* One SR 40” and Two Dually D2’s (Driving) for forward and forward ¼ lighting.

* Two 10” E Series (Diffused), one for each side.

* One SR 10” and Two Dually D2’s (Diffused) for the rear.

So my rack was a 3 piece and I after I finally received all the necessary mounting pieces they included grade 5 bolts.

Mounting BRACKETS (not all sent first time)

I used Gulf550’s mounting technique and installed it as far forward as possible to help with the efficiency of the forward / driving lights and to hopefully avoid having a lot of metal over the top of my satellite antenna.

The mounting brackets where installed in the side rails.

Then the angle piece that attaches to the bottom of the rack itself.

Now the rack itself.

I decided I would mount the lights before I installed the rack and bolt the sections together. The side scene lights would only fit between two sections so the mounts where installed and then the lights mounted after the rack sections were bolted together.

Of course with anything custom you have to end up fabricating and customizing a few items to include some clamps. I’m embarrassed to say it took me a couple of hours ( in the 98 deg heat of my garage) to try to modify some of the PIAA clamps.

And like all my new projects, they take me 3-4 times longer to do than anyone else. LOl..
    Last edited by 1USMC; 11-15-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Thread Information