Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defender Roof Rack and Lights (FINALLY) Installed

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar

Defender Roof Rack and Lights (FINALLY) Installed

Now the long awaited installation of my roof rack and lights had finally arrived! I had ordered the Defender #45505 Roof Rack and their bracket kit # DS 24-6.

After One and Half Years from my order of the Defender Roof Rack, it finally arrived and was installed. Yes 1 years…. To see why this took soooooo long and the problems incurred click here >

http://http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?2269-Defender-Roof-Rack-update&p=41398&viewfull=1#post41398

So I know I will get a little carried away with this thread and post way to much. I know it is only a roof rack and some lights mod… but for me… it was a long time coming. So finally here is my install thread and photos .. >> LOL ;-)

My Rigid Lights have been waiting almost the same amount of time for the rack to come in. They include;

* One SR 40” and Two Dually D2’s (Driving) for forward and forward lighting.

* Two 10” E Series (Diffused), one for each side.

* One SR 10” and Two Dually D2’s (Diffused) for the rear.

So my rack was a 3 piece and I after I finally received all the necessary mounting pieces they included grade 5 bolts.

Mounting BRACKETS (not all sent first time)

I used Gulf550’s mounting technique and installed it as far forward as possible to help with the efficiency of the forward / driving lights and to hopefully avoid having a lot of metal over the top of my satellite antenna.

The mounting brackets where installed in the side rails.

Then the angle piece that attaches to the bottom of the rack itself.

Now the rack itself.

I decided I would mount the lights before I installed the rack and bolt the sections together. The side scene lights would only fit between two sections so the mounts where installed and then the lights mounted after the rack sections were bolted together.

Of course with anything custom you have to end up fabricating and customizing a few items to include some clamps. I’m embarrassed to say it took me a couple of hours ( in the 98 deg heat of my garage) to try to modify some of the PIAA clamps.

And like all my new projects, they take me 3-4 times longer to do than anyone else. LOl..
    Last edited by 1USMC; 11-15-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Now I was thinking I would mount the front and rear Dually D2’s on the side rails the same way the rack is mounted. So I picked a piece of SS plate and cut it to the same width as the lower rack mount so it would angle down between the rails ( or slide in the ends).

I drilled and taped the lower plates. I then used a wider piece for the top ( with holes drilled to line up with the threaded lower plate). This would become a homemade sandwich type clamp with a mounting surface that could be made to go in any direction and length.

For the rear I was thinking I could mount D2’s on top of the bar or I even considered having the bar long enough to mount the light below it. The SR 10 would be mounted on the rear of the back rack.

Last edited by 1USMC; 09-02-2013 at 10:36 PM.

For the front I would just mount the Dually D2’s on the SS bars above the plastic end cap at the front of the factory roof rail.

I had always thought about “running” lights on the top of my XK, and had considered different options. Now as an experiment I thought I might try a light that is normally found on the rear of pickup truck beds. I got one that had running, brake, backup and sequential turn signals. The sequential lights starts from the center and progresses to the outer end in the direction you are turning.

Not sure if I would like it or not but I knew I could always easily remove it later.

So now I used a piece of aluminum angle iron and JB welded the light to it.
    Left it clamped over night.

I then coated it all with bed liner to better match the rack and help it last for the next 20 + years !

I also had to make new mounts for my emergency lights .

The rear lights mounted on the rear 1/3 of the rack.

Front driving light mount.

Oh ya.. now just a couple of wires and I’m done. Did I say couple?

Last edited by 1USMC; 09-02-2013 at 08:56 PM.

I wanted to have connectors at the rack so if necessary I could easily (?) disconnect the electrical connections and then remove the rack with the lights on it.

The darn experimental rear running light had 8 wires on it alone. That was 16 wires just at the rack to crimp, heat to seal, apply liquid electrical tape, wrap in electrical tape and then cover in wire loom.

And they still had to be wired below !

This all took a little ( a lot) longer than I had expected to say the least !

Wires wires everywhere.. again…

Now the rear lights are wired to come on automatically when I am in reverse or can be manually selected on.

The side lights, front and main front are individual controlled.

For info on how I installed these light switches >

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...llation-Option

Last edited by 1USMC; 09-03-2013 at 08:31 PM.

The lights then had to be integrated with my current emergency lights
    More info on them see > http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...hts-etc…

And I had to add an additional flasher along with 7 relays, power distribution hub and a bunch of diodes.

Hey I think I lost a red wire ??

Ah heck, just tape it up for now I'll find it later !!! ;_)

My spare controller button I found out (the hard way) was only able to computer control radio functions.

Now I had to reprogram my light/siren speaker controller (mounted under the passenger seat) with my laptop. The work never seemed like it would end !

Remember all the time and work I put into making the four clap style mounts for my D2’s ???

Well I ended up reconsidering. ( yes ouch ).

For the rear I mounted them above the rear handles.

Last edited by 1USMC; 09-02-2013 at 10:41 PM.

For the front Dually D2’s I ended up mounting them on the rack with the PIIA mounts.

My custom rail mounts at least, I know I can still use for mounting a variety of other things if the need arises in the future.

I even had 1/4 of an inch to spare to clear my garage door without having to let any air out of my tires !!!

That night I was like a little kid on X-Mas Morning !

I just had to go out and adjust them. I was gone so long my wife called me just to make sure I was OK ! LOl

I did end up adjusting the side lights slightly forward to better illuminate everything on the side of the vehicle, abeam the front doors.

The rack also ended up a lot closer to my satellite antenna than I had preferred. In fact the aluminum angle mount and the running lights ended up almost directly over the top of it ! The good news is I have not noticed any degradation to my reception.

I’ll take Luck over skill any day as long as it is good Luck !

Yes I can finally say (like many of those before me have), that any night photos do not do the lights justice and they do turn night into day. I am also especially happy with the backup lights! I needed that because of my tint and that my remounted rear camera also has to also look threw the tint. It looks like … yes.. I have daylight now when I back up.

This photo shows the difference between the aftermarket backup and the stock backup lights ( that are also illuminated).

It seems to me the back up lights are brighter and have a wider range than my low beams. :-).

So far I think I like the combo position, brake and sequential turn signal lights. I like the idea that with them mounted high that other vehicles have an easier time seeing them.

For emergency, camping or every “night” driving all the lights look like they will do their job very well.

Years ago I never would have thought LEDs could be so bright.

Last edited by 1USMC; 09-02-2013 at 10:39 PM.

In fact a few days after installation they were tested at a mutual aid, large two story house fire call that went on into the night. With all the Commanders forward lights on, it was able to light up the entire front of the house and the fire scene!

The rack will allow me a lot more options to carry gear and an unexpected advantage, I really like, is to be able to step up on a wheel or slider and use the rack as a grab handle !

A Year and later and …. It is finally done !!!!! YAaaaaa  

Last edited by 1USMC; 09-02-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4" Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Nice!!!

What are the measurements of the roof rack?
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post

What are the measurements of the roof rack?
    Good question... The part number is also a slightly encrypted dimension. Its 4.5' Wide By 5' Long ( part number 45505). I think the last number references a one piece vs a bolt together. A "4" on the end is one (or welded), a "5" = bolt together.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Can we trade Jeeps? Please?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information