Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    That's sweet man!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    man that is so sweet
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Not that I need a rack at the moment, but, damn, this has been banging around in my head...

So I have a few follow up questions:

1. How many mounts come in a box? I'm assuming 1 pair, so you ordered 3 pairs?
    2. What made you order the bolt together as opposed to the 1-piece?
    3. How strong is it? Dare I ask, are you able to stand on it?
    4. How has it been holding up?

I like how low it keeps to the roof as opposed to other racks that use the factory crossbars.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    OK, I just answered question 1 on my own. I see the box has a set of 6 brackets. Not every vendor has that level of detail in their descriptions!
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    I recently got the bolt together defender rack from pjmjr. It is a very sturdy rack, I can stand on it no problems, each cross bar alone that makes up the "floor" of the rack can support my weight (~150 lbs.) on their own. I have even created a setup so that I can hang my hammock off the rack, parallel with my XK, with no external mounts (trees, posts, etc.).

Ever since I got the rack I have caught the fabricating bug, I even made a little side ladder, which gets a lot of looks. I'm happy that I got the bolt together rack, as I'm hoping to eventually create more identical sections to be placed in between the current ones, so that the rack will extend completely to the windshield of the XK like a large "safari" type rack.

-Ross
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    Not that I need a rack at the moment, but, damn, this has been banging around in my head...

So I have a few follow up questions:

1. How many mounts come in a box? I'm assuming 1 pair, so you ordered 3 pairs?
    2. What made you order the bolt together as opposed to the 1-piece?

I only have three total people to help me with my projects. Me, Myself and of course I ! The bolt together was shipped for free at the time and I had heard and I would tend to agree with that it is easier to lift up and install in 3 sections by myself.
    3. How strong is it? Dare I ask, are you able to stand on it?

I have crawled over it in the past and after your question yes I did go out and stand on it. Seams pretty solid, but I didn't do jumping jacks on it either LOL.

4. How has it been holding up?

So far so good. I did notice the other day that on the inside of one of the corners where the packing material had rubbed during shipment had started showing some signs of surface rust. I hit it with the rattle can. Other than that so far it is doing great! I had thought about spaying it with bedliner before I Installed it, but the extra cost at the time and the excitement to finally have the rack in my hands led to an installation at my first available free time!

I like how low it keeps to the roof as opposed to other racks that use the factory crossbars.
    I also liked that look.
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho787 View Post
    I recently got the bolt together defender rack from pjmjr.

psycho787 I must admit I have a slight emotional attachment to your rack Lol.. I believe it was first owned by Gulf550 and it was on his rig that I first saw it and then made the decision that was the rack I would like to install on mine. He then sold it to superacerc (Gulf550 eventually got another one) who then sold the Rack to pjmjr! Its a special rack! I like and will follow your mods to your rack also.
    Last edited by 1USMC; 11-15-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4" Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information