Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reinforced 4XGuard Sliders

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Reinforced 4XGuard Sliders

While most of the strength of these sliders comes from the pinch weld... I wasn't happy with the tiny aluminum rivets they supplied to mount the upper section under the doors. I put my sliders to the test and they performed great, BUT there is always some movement on hard impacts; and I ended up shearing every single aluminum rivet.

So I got some heavy duty 3/8-16 rivnuts and installed 3 on each side. When I installed the rivnuts I also used JB-Weld on both sides to help reinforce the sheet metal and to ensure the rivnuts didn't spin out when torqued down.

The middle bolts need to be shortened to ~3/4" because of the pillar. Yes, I used white silicone caulk to make it look more "finished". I added a few washers in between the body and slider since they don't sit perfectly flush and didn't want to pull the rivnuts through the sheetmetal.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    Nice! So I guess you decided against selling or having tubes welded?
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

Still looking into welding tubes on. This was one of the things I wanted to do before adding tubes so they're stronger to help with the added leverage.

Now that I don't have to fight the rivets, it only takes ~10 minutes to take them off.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I have the edition that had sheetmetal screws & don't like that. This will be great.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Yeah I can't say I'd like sheet metal screws either! Rivnuts with some JB are the way to go. Grabs a lot more surface area and the JB adds some stiffness to the area as well.

The hardest part is making sure you don't get JB on the threads. I used plenty of antisieze just in case

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty valpacer's Avatar
    Looks good Matt, and a definite improvement.

However, these are still relying on the strength of the sill and frame, which inst that strong.

This is mine after a trip earlier this year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0837.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	2094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0839.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	2095

We are looking at using the subframes we are making to mount the long arms to to tie the sliders together under the Jeep, that way they cant get pushed up without bring the whole undercarriage with it
    2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

Yeah I remember when you posted about that. If I recall though it was a serious hit, as in the side of the jeep would have been destroyed, wasn't it? Could've sworn you made sure to point out how well they held up in light of the situation that caused the damage......

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty valpacer's Avatar
    Yeah it was a decent smack, full length of the slider going up a hill.

round 2.15 onwards in this vid is where it happened
    2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by valpacer View Post
    Yeah it was a decent smack,........

Yup ... I agree also !

Great Video !! ;-)
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4" Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Senior Member Getting Dirty 06blkhemi's Avatar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	2098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	2099Thanks Matt,
    i need to do this mod ASAP. After my last Rausch trip my got hit hard enough to bend up the bottom of my door even! Busted out all the little self tappers!'
    06 Hemi Limited,black,QD2,elsd,loaded minus back up camera,OEM hitch with 7pin harness. RC 2"lift,BFG Rugged Terrains 265x70x17(31.7"),1 3/4" Rugged ridge wheel spacers(front), 4xguard Matrix Pushbar and Grill Hoop,4xguard rockrail/sliders,4xGuard 12 bolt diff guard,6"Hella 500 Black Magic Driving lights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information