Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Receiver Hitch

Senior Member Getting Dirty

Front Receiver Hitch

About 5 years ago a guy on the other forum was making bumpers and such for Commander owners. I volunteered for a prototype front receiver hitch at a reduced price.

He had a good design and good fab skills. sfter I mounted it I discovered the insert tube had somehow been tweaked. ..possibly before he built it. He stopped his business and went back to college. I was able to.deal with the tweaked tube by grinding the insert on.my winch cradle.

But now I want more flexibility in using various inserts. So I uninstalled it a couple of days ago, cut the tube off and welded a new one on. Tomorrow ill paint it then reinstall it in s few days.

I'm going to build a front spare tire carrier for it.

I'm surprised more people dont go with a front hitch for their winch.

I'll post some pics soon.
    2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s, Rola Roof Rack.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Looking forward to seeing it.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I got a lot of good use out of my 4XG receiver mount. Not sure id throw a tire up front, but combined with the rear hitch and roof rack I was able to carry a lot more cargo!

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    I know you folks are familiar with this, but for any new comers, here is a link to the front receiver I installed with part numbers and procedures:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...highlight=plow
    Last edited by thance; 10-01-2013 at 09:00 AM.
    2010 5.7 QTII - OME HD w/ 3/8" spacers up front and F150 MLL in rear, JBA UCA 6.7, JKS 2034 Front Quick Disconnects, Gas Tank Skid Mod, PinchWeld Mod, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17, Custom Front Receiver / Plow Mount, Custom Tow Rings F/R, Diablo Intune.

Here are some more recent pics with front tow rings and inverted step bumper (w/ custom license plate mount) mounted in front receiver. This is how I use it on regular days when plow or winch are not required:

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...ll=1#post42831
    Last edited by thance; 10-01-2013 at 08:58 AM.
    2010 5.7 QTII - OME HD w/ 3/8" spacers up front and F150 MLL in rear, JBA UCA 6.7, JKS 2034 Front Quick Disconnects, Gas Tank Skid Mod, PinchWeld Mod, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17, Custom Front Receiver / Plow Mount, Custom Tow Rings F/R, Diablo Intune.

Here's some pics of the fixed front receiver hitch. I also fabbed up a tire carrier. I made the tire carrier height adjustable so I can put it up front or on the rear tow hitch. The two hitches are different heights off the ground, hence the need for adjustments.

P.S. Love those Duratracs! Just put those on a few days prior to all this.
    Last edited by GPintheMitten; 10-07-2013 at 07:36 AM.
    2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s, Rola Roof Rack.

More pics

Tire carrier that can go on the front or rear. On the rear I can lift the glass with the tire mounted but I have to pull the hitch pin and remove the carrier and spare to open the hatch door.

I didn't take a pic yet on the front but will. Notice on the pic of the carrier, I hadn't yet drilled the holes in the upright tube. Later I drilled a series of holes that give me several height options.

Yuk, did some adjustments after paint and scratched it all up. Gotta repaint soon.
    Last edited by GPintheMitten; 10-07-2013 at 07:53 AM.

That's great! I like the way the tire is nice and low in the back and doesn't block the window. I wonder if you could use a hinge like on a Thule bike rack that allows the tire to swing back so the door can be opened without removing.

Quote Originally Posted by thance View Post
    That's great! I like the way the tire is nice and low in the back and doesn't block the window. I wonder if you could use a hinge like on a Thule bike rack that allows the tire to swing back so the door can be opened without removing.
    Thanks. I dont know how I would be able to do a hinge effectively and keep it adjustable for front and rear. I'll think on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information