Thread: SuperLift and front drive shaft

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar

SuperLift and front drive shaft

So, I'm starting this thread as kind of a place holder until I get more information.

The SuperLift provides drop brackets for the front diff to keep stock geometry for the front suspension components. Well, unfortunately this means the front drive shaft ends up with a more extreme angle. Here is a picture of mine at the transfer case:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130917_204235.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	2130

Well, someone who had issue with this had a fabricator come up with a new shaft that uses a double cardan joint instead of the CV. Here's a pic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1148818_10201938429727271_133577409_n.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	2131

I think I've read in a few places of some guys grenading their drive shafts while offroading. I'll post more info as I get some.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    FYI, I haven't had any problems with the front drive shaft. CVs, yes. Drive shaft (propeller), no.
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty valpacer's Avatar
    Ive had a custom shaft in mine for around a year now, dbl cardan top end to replace the CV, and the factory slip joint cv end at the Diff. I had to do this after smoking 2 driveshafts in 4 days :-(

Others have now had the same, and Jay has got Carolina d/s to make a design, which they will have the specs of to remake when needed.
    2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

Well, I found the boot on the CV at the TC to be torn, so I'll be giving the Carolina guys a call today.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!

So the new drive shaft is in! I can confirm that a grinding noise and feel in the pedal that I've had since August is now gone.

So, first off, I will mention if I haven't already, that this will sooner be of concern to those with SuperLifts than those who have other lift that do not involve dropping the front diff. That's not to say everyone may not have front shaft issues at some point, but the SL owners may have this happen sooner rather than later.

So here's the new one:

To be continued...

Now, getting the old one out and the new one in will require loosening the transmission crossmember:

And here is a look inside the joint at the TC of the old shaft. Nasty!

And the new shaft in place (bolts weren't all tightened down yet in this pic):

For $355 shipped, I'm thinking this worked out well. We'll see how this performs in the coming months, but I don't expect any problems.

Now if I could just get rid of the squeaking in the rear suspension...

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty valpacer's Avatar
    Looks good mate!

That's the best pics i have seen yet of the Carolina design.

Did they mention anything about loosing 2 of the transfer case flange bolts?
    2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Looks good Mark!!

Is the shaft larger/smaller/equal to the stock shaft diameter? Wondering if it increased/decreased clearance to the annoying bolt in the crossmember.

I'll have to check on the stock shaft. The new one is 2" OD. It's my initial impression that they are the same. But the shaft diameter is an issue at the exhaust heat shield. It's the rezeppa joint that hovers over the captured nut in the crossmember. I had the back bushing in the diff replaced recently. I think that helped a lot to keep that from rubbing. I guess I should also check the diameter of that joint on both to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by valpacer View Post
    Looks good mate!

That's the best pics i have seen yet of the Carolina design.

Did they mention anything about loosing 2 of the transfer case flange bolts?
    Well, Dave, they didn't mention anything about it. Clearly, there is no place to drill the holes because of the flange design. I don't think it's an issue since the flange is a think, flat plate going right up against the TC flange for a solid connection. The rezeppas are probably a different issue, but I'm no engineer.

Thread Information