Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird electrical/cold start gremlins

Member Looking for Dirt

Weird electrical/cold start gremlins

Hey guys, first post over here, got an '06 Hemi XK I've been slowly bringing back from the dead. Had it 4 years or so now, and I've always had the lights inside dim/flicker, I just learned to live with it. Recently, I went through and replaced the factory speakers and added an iSimple gateway so I could hook up my iphone and stream XM via the app. Works great, but last week the XK started acting a little funny (last week was the first time in months I had to start it in 50ish degree weather).

First, it was hard starting, turned over a few times, and I let the key go when I expected it to fire up. Second try, fired right up, no problem...everything worked fine, except the radio wouldn't come on....like it was dead. Very strange. Drove it to work, parked it all day, came out...started right up and the radio came right on. Each morning it seems to be the same drill...first start of the day is nothing, everything after that the radio works fine.

I did have my battery tested 2 weeks ago when I was installing the OME lift, and it tested fine (along with the alternator).

I know I haven't given anyone much to go on, but is there a good starting point to see what the problem may be? I'm stumped.

Thank you!
    Ryan

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I know you said you had the battery tested... but is it the original battery? Batteries can be going bad and still test good; all depends on the time of machine used to test them.

Assuming the battery is good, i'd check all of your electrical connections. Make sure the battery terminals are all tight and corrosion free. Check the engine and body grounds.

Check the fuse for the radio. The contacts could be worn a bit.... throw a new fuse in or swap it with an equivalent one (swap it with something minor like the fog lights, door locks, etc)

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I'm thinking it probably doesn't have the original battery in it. Most battery's only last 3-4 years at most. His XK is 7 years old. If it somehow does then it definitely needs to be replaced
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Gotta rule out the obvious. I've known people going 6+ years on batteries....against my recommendation obviously, but its not unheard of; a lot of owners wait for something to go wrong before replacing batteries.

Most batteries are solid for a good 60 months.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Battery is original to me, so, yes, it is still the same one. Who knows how many miles on it before I picked it up, but I do know that we've put about 60K on this one. Gotta be nearing death.

Will try fuse swaps. I just hope I didn't foul something up when I had it all set aside for the lift installation.

What are the general battery recommendations? Planning a trip to Big Bend next month and would like to not be stranded!

There's a lot of good ones.... Diehard Gold AGM and Bosch S5 to name some.

Definitely change that thing out. And check your ground connections too

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    There's a lot of good ones.... Diehard Gold AGM and Bosch S5 to name some.

Definitely change that thing out. And check your ground connections too
    Alright, I gotta admit that I'm a real greenhorn when it comes to the electrical work on vehicles. Where are the grounds typically located in our trucks and do I just need to check for looseness, corrosion, etc? Thanks, going to look into a new battery today.

Take a look under the hood. Anywhere theres a black wire bolted to the body is a ground. Theres one or two near the battery, another on the firewall and I think one on the passenger side near a computer module you'll see.

Make sure they're not rusted/corroded, and wiggle them to see if they're loose at all.

Also check the positive and ground connections in the fuse blocks.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Stopped by Sears on the way to pick my daughter up and had an agm diehard installed. Good as new.

Front end still "rubs" when it's cold (early esp engagement feel) and I've got a nice rotational wobble > 80mph. Joy!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    Front end still "rubs" when it's cold (early esp engagement feel)
    Do you know when the front differential was last serviced? The QDII differentials are very sensitive to fluid & friction modifier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information